Latest macbook pro and flash HW acceleration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ggp759, Jul 11, 2011.

1. ggp759 macrumors member

Hi guys have a macbook pro from early 2008. The last six months the cpu usage when playing a flash 1080p video goes crazy resulting in very high temperatures and extreme noise from the fans. I tried everything hardware wise like cleaning the motherboard , reapplying thermal paste( genius guys did it) but the problem continues. I know its an old processor (2,5 core 2 duo and gpu is 8600gt) but this did not happen with earlier versions of flash. Can any new owner verify that this does not happen with the new mbp be it with intel graphics or discrete amd cpus. Any of the new gpus have HW acceleration? Cant help but wonder if apple has as much to do with this as adobe. In the pc world with a wide variety of gpus this is about to dissappear. Is apple as guilty as adobe for not giving the right tools to take advantage of the hardware?

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Flash has hardware acceleration. 8600M GT has hardware acceleration as well.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

While the 8600 GT has hardware acceleration, it does not have the proper support for Apple's video acceleration API. That needs a GeForce 9400M or newer. Source: http://blog.kaourantin.net/?p=89

I haven't had any YouTube videos drive the CPU crazy on my 2011 Macbook Pro.

4. ggp759 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick response. As far as i have read from adobe's website the 8600M GT does not have hardware acceleration. It says its only supported on
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 320M or GeForce GT 330M GPUs.

5. ggp759 thread starter macrumors member

Any experience with these and flash in 1080p? Greatly appreciated

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Let me quote my previous post.

In addition, it works just fine with 1080p Flash stuff.