Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spiritgreywolf

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
After reading here and all of the support data I could find on the Apple site, is is true that even with the most advanced MacPro currently available (as of July 2014), I can run three 4K displays, but only two will function at 60Hz, while the third must be plugged in to the HDMI 1.2 port - which only functions at 30Hz?

I would really like to have a triplet setup with three of the ASUS PB287Q (28" 4K display) but be able to run them all at 60Hz. Is this even doable? Or does one always have to limp along at 30Hz? Even if I max out the highest level of integrated video available?

The thing that just pours salt into the wound is that the street price on Amazon for the ASUS 28" is a couple hundred dollars cheaper than Apple's own thunderbolt display. I already have one of those and could live with a 4K in the middle and two 27" thunderbolt outriggers - but that fact the t-bolt display is more expense just chafes.

So in a nutshell is three 4K displays at 60Hz possible on the MacPro (of any version available now) ??

Thanks in advance!

Ryan

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
After reading here and all of the support data I could find on the Apple site, is is true that even with the most advanced MacPro currently available (as of July 2014), I can run three 4K displays, but only two will function at 60Hz, while the third must be plugged in to the HDMI 1.2 port - which only functions at 30Hz?

I would really like to have a triplet setup with three of the ASUS PB287Q (28" 4K display) but be able to run them all at 60Hz. Is this even doable? Or does one always have to limp along at 30Hz? Even if I max out the highest level of integrated video available?

The thing that just pours salt into the wound is that the street price on Amazon for the ASUS 28" is a couple hundred dollars cheaper than Apple's own thunderbolt display. I already have one of those and could live with a 4K in the middle and two 27" thunderbolt outriggers - but that fact the t-bolt display is more expense just chafes.

So in a nutshell is three 4K displays at 60Hz possible on the MacPro (of any version available now) ??

Thanks in advance!

Ryan
All 3 4K monitors will function at 60Hz on the nMP. It was clearly stated in the keynote presentation. One thing I pondered about is whether the mac pro can run 3 4K monitors in HiDPI as they require pixel doubling for 3200x1800 HiDPI (6400x3200) and 2560x1400 HiDPI (5120x2800) Apparently only one card will be powering the displays and the other is idle unless the application can take advantage of running both cards. I would like to a triple set up as well but I personally shun away from TN panels. I would have preferred if Apple were to come out with their own 4K displays as you know, they are well integrated with the mac setup. (Brightness control with keyboard, Integrated Thunderbolt hub, FaceTime, built-in speakers). But that's just me. :D

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I'm eagerly waiting for Apple's 27" retina display solution as well. But I'm confused wether that will even be possible. I don't know if the nMP can push through 5120x2800 via Thunderbolt 2.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK

Comparing a TN display to an IPS display on price alone ignores all the points that makes IPS worth more.

Compare the 27" Thunderbolt to a 24" 4K IPS screen and the relative prices are very different.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
All 3 4K monitors will function at 60Hz on the nMP. It was clearly stated in the keynote presentation.

Got a minute mark? Probably not because only three 4K monitors was stated. The limitation is documented by Apple here.

" Three 4K displays: two connected via Mini DisplayPort and one connected via HDMI. "
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5918

the HDMI port implicitly locks in under 60Hz since HDMI 1.4 can't do 4K 60Hz.

For folks doing movies at 24Hz and primarily static photographs an uppper cap of 30Hhz isn't a huge problem. This limited HDMI monitor doesn't have to be the primary monitor. It can be a reference monitor.

----------

The thing that just pours salt into the wound is that the street price on Amazon for the ASUS 28" is a couple hundred dollars cheaper than Apple's own thunderbolt display.

Not any more salt than the age of the Thunderbolt docking station/display in general. Same super glossy , USB 2.0 hollowed out iMac from 3 years ago.

Apple isn't really in the display business anymore. They left that business around 2008. Since then it has been the docking station with integrated display business. That is one reason the prices don't track the general display market.

Technically, I think there is some color space compression/reduction gimmick (supported in driver/monitor ) that someone has to push 60Hz of reduced 4K data over HDMI. But as far as full color , 60Hz 4K. No.

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
Got a minute mark? Probably not because only three 4K monitors was stated. The limitation is documented by Apple here.

" Three 4K displays: two connected via Mini DisplayPort and one connected via HDMI. "
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5918

the HDMI port implicitly locks in under 60Hz since HDMI 1.4 can't do 4K 60Hz.

For folks doing movies at 24Hz and primarily static photographs an uppper cap of 30Hhz isn't a huge problem. This limited HDMI monitor doesn't have to be the primary monitor. It can be a reference monitor.

----------

Not any more salt than the age of the Thunderbolt docking station/display in general. Same super glossy , USB 2.0 hollowed out iMac from 3 years ago.

Apple isn't really in the display business anymore. They left that business around 2008. Since then it has been the docking station with integrated display business. That is one reason the prices don't track the general display market.

Technically, I think there is some color space compression/reduction gimmick (supported in driver/monitor ) that someone has to push 60Hz of reduced 4K data over HDMI. But as far as full color , 60Hz 4K. No.
Oh dear. I stand corrected. What a let down :(

kwijbo

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2012
I'm eagerly waiting for Apple's 27" retina display solution as well. But I'm confused wether that will even be possible. I don't know if the nMP can push through 5120x2800 via Thunderbolt 2.

I'd guess the GPU could handle it but the limiting factor is TB 2 (and DP 1.2).

Comparing a TN display to an IPS display on price alone ignores all the points that makes IPS worth more.

Compare the 27" Thunderbolt to a 24" 4K IPS screen and the relative prices are very different.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...~ck=dellSearch&~srd=true&sk=UP2414Q&scat=prod

$825, 4k, IPS. Probably can get another 10% off searching for a coupon code.

Given that the Thunderbolt display is still using USB 2.0 and hasn't had an update in 3 years I think its appropriate to consider it overpriced. Looking at one side by side with an iMac the gap in the display stack is very noticeable also. There are several improvements which Apple could have done however choose not to, while still charging full price for their outdated "premium" product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.