Latest mountain lion update killed my MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Clubsouldern, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Clubsouldern macrumors newbie

Can anyone help me. Yesterday I installed the first os update since I installed mountain lion on my 2010 MacBook Pro. All went as normal for a bit until a message came up saying it was unable to complete the update and was going to restart. Fair enough I thought until it returned me to my login screen. My password no longer worked. I tried a few recent passwords in case it had stepped back in time. No joy. So I tried to use my master password to reset the password. Again, It had forgotton that too. So I am now locked out. Anyone got any ideas? My next move is to put it into target drive mode with a FireWire to thunderbolt cable and pull off my aperture library and a few other things and then clean install post disk format but I am open to easier alternatives if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks.

2. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

have you tried booting into single user mode?

there's also recovery system (either R or command+R on boot) - that's like putting a system disk in, maybe you can reset password that way?

3. Clubsouldern thread starter macrumors newbie

4. jon08 macrumors 65816

Today I did a fresh install of Mountain Lion and during the installation I set a user password. However, when I proceeded to use my MBP, it didn't ask me for password.

I tried restarting my Mac and it was as though I hadn't set up a password. Then I went to Users & Groups and re-set my password. To no avail.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on??? For some reason I cannot set up a password on my MBP! I've also updated to the latest version of 10.8.2., btw.

5. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Is it set up for Automatic login? That would be my first thought...

6. jon08 macrumors 65816

Wow, thanks! It was indeed Automatic login, you saved the day! :cool:

What I don't understand is how did I set it up in the first place? I just did a default installation of Mountain Lion and set up a password (and I've done several fresh installs in the same fashion on different machines lately, yet on none of them had this automatic login "problem").