Latest on MiWi on 3G iPad 2?

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Yes, I did a search!!!

So, what is the latest on this? I do have 2 iPads, and unlimited service on one of them, I will be going on a road trip and was thinking on installing it, so I could share my connection with the other iPad, and maybe my MacBook Air, while on the way (No, I will not e online while driving, only while my wife drives and I rest, and she would use it while I drive).

So, how safe is it to use MiWi on the ipad now? Most likely I will only use if while away for 2 weeks...

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
So, how safe is it to use MiWi on the ipad now? Most likely I will only use if while away for 2 weeks...
What do you mean by "safe"? Are you concerned about your tethering being noticed by your carrier, or are you worried about your device continuing to operate properly?

I have been using MyWi for quite a while on both my iPhone 4 and my iPad (1). Both devices have been very stable. I recently upgraded both devices to a (semi)tethered iOS 5 jailbreak and MyWi continues to operate well in WiFi mode, but I have been having problems getting the devices to connect in OnDemand mode via Bluetooth. However, this is looking more like an iOS Bluetooth issue than a MyWi issue.

Regarding carrier issues - I have never had a problem. However, my tethering bandwidth is pretty low. (I usually stay within the 200 MB limit of the cheapest iPhone data plan.) When I'm outside the US, I buy a local SIM for my iPad and do a *lot* of tethering to my laptop and other iDevices. I've never had a problem with that either.

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
My main concern is with ATT taking away my unlimited plan on my iPad :confused:

What do you mean by "safe"? Are you concerned about your tethering being noticed by your carrier, or are you worried about your device continuing to operate properly?

I have been using MyWi for quite a while on both my iPhone 4 and my iPad (1). Both devices have been very stable. I recently upgraded both devices to a (semi)tethered iOS 5 jailbreak and MyWi continues to operate well in WiFi mode, but I have been having problems getting the devices to connect in OnDemand mode via Bluetooth. However, this is looking more like an iOS Bluetooth issue than a MyWi issue.

Regarding carrier issues - I have never had a problem. However, my tethering bandwidth is pretty low. (I usually stay within the 200 MB limit of the cheapest iPhone data plan.) When I'm outside the US, I buy a local SIM for my iPad and do a *lot* of tethering to my laptop and other iDevices. I've never had a problem with that either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.