Latest redsn0w v0.8 works with 3.0.1 on all iphone models

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by darngooddesign, Jul 31, 2009.

1. darngooddesign macrumors G3

For all those purplera1n vs redns0w arguments, the fact that RS will JB 3.01 when PR will not is just more proof that you should go with people who have been doing it the longest.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Very nice, the IPSW must have stayed pretty much the same if the tools work without modification. Good job Dev-Team.

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

So redsn0w will jailbreak a 3GS running 3.0.1? I read in another thread that it doesn't recognize the 3.0.1 ipsw?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I believe you read it doesn't recognize the 3.0 IPSW, if the thread you are referring to was here in MacForums.

Redsn0w worked fine for me with 3.0 IPSW and for thousands of others. Those two who posted on the thread must have something out of whack somehow.

5. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

isnt purplera1n made for just 1 device(3GS), while redsn0w is for all devices??

6. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

well if you should go with the people doing it the longest and you knew anything about that you would go with purplera1n because "geohotz" was the FIRST to jailbreak the iphone and unlock it .. sooo yeah kinda embarrasing for you .. take a moment and think up something witty

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I'm confused. By 'people who have been doing it the longest' I assume you mean geohot, the creator of purplera1n? I mean, he was one the original Dev Team members and was the guy who gave the Dev Team the exploit used for the first iPhone 3G unlock ... (edit: looks like TapOut beat me to it. Geohot's history and contributions to the scene are fairly well-known by jailbreakers in general ... )

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

why the hate!

give geohotz his do the Dev team did not want to release redsn0w till 3.1 came out but they released it shortly after geohotz came out with purplera1n I think the guy is right apple does a release and it's up to Dev team among others to crack it. it's the game that has always been played long before the iphone. company's will try to limit there products while hackers want to free the product! and geohotz deserves hs do as much as the Dev team now we have Dev team and geohotz maybe he will start his own team as well who knows. but it just makes the hacking world stronger imo.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

so I admit, I'm a noob at all this. I have my 3G JB right now...

do I install 3.0.1 first, then re-jailbreak it?

or just open redsn0w and select the 3.0.1 ipsw file and update it that way? hmm. thanks in advance. :eek:

11. labman macrumors 604

labman

you mean

George Hotz aka Geohotz

normaly I don't like using wikipeda as my source but this time it works well! but I do agree with what your saying! I think it's about hacking not who's yard is greener!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hotz

and liccc12 your youtube link doesn't work!

12. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Holy crap I feel old :eek: :eek:

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I know what you mean. I never knew this guy was 20. Wow! :)

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

yeah

everybody used to talk about what a young smart kid he was now he almost old enough to get a beer! :p

[​IMG]

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Latest redsn0w v0.8 works with 3.0.1 on all iphone models

From the Dev-Teams site:

You can re-use redsn0w v0.8 we released a few weeks ago to jailbreak today’s 3.0.1 update. Just let iTunes update or restore you to official 3.0.1 then run redsn0w. The only “trick” is that when redsn0w asks you to identify the IPSW used, point it at the 3.0 IPSW instead of the 3.0.1 one. After the jailbreak, reinstall ultrasn0w 0.9 if you need the unlock.

More details:

The 3.0.1 release is a “branch” from 3.0 that occurs (code-wise) before all the 3.1 betas. The programs redsn0w needs to change for the jailbreak are identical when you compare the 3.0 and 3.0.1 versions. It seems pretty much the only changes Apple made were for the SMS bug, which affects programs that redsn0w doesn’t touch. That’s why you can re-use redsn0w 0.8 on 3.0.1 even though it was written for 3.0.

And since 3.0.1 doesn’t touch the baseband either, ultrasn0w 0.9 works for those needing the soft unlock. Just install it from the repo666.ultrasn0w.com repository using Cydia as usual.

We’ll at some point fix redsn0w to recognize both 3.0 and 3.0.1 IPSW’s, but really that’s the only change that would be made to it. Everything else would be identical, so there’s no need to wait for the “proper” version that recognizes the 3.0.1 IPSW as valid.

Good news that Apple didnt change anything besides patch the SMS hole.
    I think they'll play the cat and mouse game against Jailbreaking on the next 3.1 release.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    I posted an informative thread about the new update and Jailbreaking. I rather not continue it at a thread that promotes a pissing contest like whos got a better jailbreak etc....
    Thanks.

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Nice OP, I prefer a thread that states what it is about. I updated to FW 3.0.1 and JB with redsn0w v0.8 and just came over from Purplera1n. I find redsn0w to be a bit more work than purplera1n, due to the number of restarts and the inability to just go back to Cydia after each installation. But beyond that, it was a pretty fast jailbreak.....:cool:

18. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It doesn't surprise me that the jailbreak still works. I think honestly that Apple never really intended to release an update with ".0.1" but they were forced to by the discovery of this bug. :p

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ I'd heard rumors on other forums that 3.1 Beta 1,2, & 3 were actually 3.0.1 in disguise, but was released early b/c, as you stated the fix needed to come out like last week....

20. jotamurray macrumors member

I suppose it's healthy competition for us users