Latest Retina MBP 15 worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Risco, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

I use my Macbook every day, mainly for surfing or managing my music and videos etc. I also use it for some encoding. I currently have the MPB 2012 in my sig, is this a worthy upgrade?

I was more thinking just for the screen quality alone?

2. awests macrumors regular

If your current MBP runs fine, then I would just run it until it dies. It seems like you might get a little benefit from the new MBP for encoding, but I'm not sure its worth $2,000+.

3. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Is today the Official 2012 cMBP MacBook Pro vs Retina Day today?

OP - No, performance wise you wont see any improvement going to a Retina, especially since you already have an SSD in it.

4. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

Thanks guys, I guess only the screen is a real difference?

5. Lachhh macrumors regular

I can't recommend the upgrade for the higher resolution alone. I upgraded from a stock 2010 15" pro configuration and in hindsight, the 2010 suited my needs well enough so the switch was far from necessary. Lesson learned.

The difference is too minimal and the cost of switching a bit too high to justify. I'd keep on rocking the existing machine if I was you. Keep a machine until it dies as long as it continues suiting your needs! Fancy alone isn't a good reason to upgrade something as expensive and high-end as a 15" pro.

6. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

I would wait for the next upgrade (hopefully to Broadwell) in mid-2014. I usually like to get at least three years out of my machines if I can. Then sell and trade up depending on current needs.

7. Risco thread starter macrumors 68000

Risco

Yeah I think you are right guys, Broadwell would be a sensible upgrade.