Latest Security Update Buggy? (SSL Certificates)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zwopple, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Zwopple macrumors regular

Dec 27, 2008
    Software Update just prompted me with an update for iTunes and a Security Update without thinking about it since they are apple updates I did them.

After restarting every single application that utilizes a SSL certificate from Keychain is prompting me saying that the SSL Certificate has an invalid issuer. This includes SSL certificates from Apple themselves ( mobile me, etc.. ).

Anyone else having this issue or is it just my computer being massively screwy?

2. macintoshtoffy macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2009
    New Zealand

It is just your computer; no problems here.
  3. philippk macrumors newbie

May 16, 2013
    Hi! I'm replying to this old post because I had a similar problem with my 10.8.3 Mountain Lion System with the same symptoms (but probably for a somehow different reason).

In my system I had the same problem: Apps like Apple Mail or a 3rd party budget planning software refused to connect to any SSL servers with the message "The SSL Certificate has an invalid issuer!".

The reason was that I change something in my crypto setup, to be specific: I set the maximum allowed RSA key length to 8192 bits in order to make Google Chrome and Safari accept those long and a bit uncommon SSL certificates. I did this using
    sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/ RSAMaxKeySize -int 8192
    I did this only for debugging purposes.
    In order to undo this change, I was searching for information on the original value for this parameter and I found it to be 4096, so I ran the same command again with that value.
    The apps still couldn't connect. So I decided to remove the configuration with the command
    sudo mv /Library/Preferences/ /Library/Preferences/
    and everything was working again.

So in case someone's having the same problems, here's your fix (or if it doesn't work a hint that the problem lays deeper in you system, in Mac's crypto architecture).