Latest Security Update Buggy? (SSL Certificates)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zwopple, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Zwopple macrumors regular

Software Update just prompted me with an update for iTunes and a Security Update without thinking about it since they are apple updates I did them.

After restarting every single application that utilizes a SSL certificate from Keychain is prompting me saying that the SSL Certificate has an invalid issuer. This includes SSL certificates from Apple themselves ( mobile me, apple.com etc.. ).

Anyone else having this issue or is it just my computer being massively screwy?

-Robert

2. macintoshtoffy macrumors 6502a

macintoshtoffy

It is just your computer; no problems here.

3. philippk macrumors newbie

Hi! I'm replying to this old post because I had a similar problem with my 10.8.3 Mountain Lion System with the same symptoms (but probably for a somehow different reason).

In my system I had the same problem: Apps like Apple Mail or a 3rd party budget planning software refused to connect to any SSL servers with the message "The SSL Certificate has an invalid issuer!".

The reason was that I change something in my crypto setup, to be specific: I set the maximum allowed RSA key length to 8192 bits in order to make Google Chrome and Safari accept those long and a bit uncommon SSL certificates. I did this using
    Code:
    sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.crypto RSAMaxKeySize -int 8192
    I did this only for debugging purposes.
    In order to undo this change, I was searching for information on the original value for this parameter and I found it to be 4096, so I ran the same command again with that value.
    The apps still couldn't connect. So I decided to remove the configuration with the command
    Code:
    sudo mv /Library/Preferences/com.apple.crypto.plist /Library/Preferences/com.apple.crypto.BACKUP.plist
    and everything was working again.

So in case someone's having the same problems, here's your fix (or if it doesn't work a hint that the problem lays deeper in you system, in Mac's crypto architecture).