Latest Short Film

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by AWalkerStudios, Dec 9, 2007.

1. AWalkerStudios macrumors member

AWalkerStudios

This film was shot in a day and edited in a day, so bear with me here. The Youtube version features a temp track and not the final original score, which would explain the funky cuts in the music. Shot on my Canon XL2. Boom mike wasn't an XLR so I had to use a short mini connection which suffered from a lot of loss in quality.

This short made it's debut at the NALIP Annual Film Slam festival to rave reviews. Many were simply impressed by my age. heh

REFLECTIONS

My next short is being produced by CineVeliz out of LA and will be shot on a HVX200. We are in the middle of casting and the current schedule has shooting starting a few days after christmas. It's a story conceived by me and written by published author/producer Sebastion Prooth. I'll link you all to that one once it's released.

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That was good. I like how you put the story together. My only criticism is that I could barely hear the actors when they spoke. I'm guessing you used the camera's built in microphone? Using an external will allow you to place it closer to the actors so the sound levels will be higher and a good mic will also eliminate some of that extraneous noise that you get when you use the one on the camera.

3. superman666 macrumors regular

Very powerful film. You did a very good job with the cinematography and editing. It looked much more professional than what a high school film usually looks like. Only some stupid little things messed the film up for reaching its true potential.

My Constructive Criticism:
    The sound quality killed the essence of some scenes. It felt like it didn't even have a microphone attached when the actors talked. The music was great, but the dialogue was a little weak.
    The transitions between scenes were dull. Fade to black? You should use your great film angle technique and make some transitional scenes. Maybe show him going to the hospital using your style. Fading to black and starting the music again doesn't really cut it.
    I didn't buy the girlfriend note, and the Mom saying everything worked out. I don't think a note saying 'it's over' really cuts it for me. The mom dialogue was a bit generic.

Overall, very good job. I AM surprised that you shot it and edited it in one day, but you shouldn't really brag (not brag but emphasize) that. A film should take a good amount of time, and you shouldn't just finish it up in that amount of time. Edit it, sleep on it, than watch it the next day. Regardless of all that you managed to make a powerful film.

Good Job :D

4. AWalkerStudios thread starter macrumors member

AWalkerStudios

We actually did have an external mike, as I stated in the first post.

Yeah, I normally would never consider throwing something together like that, but I originally made it for the youtube project direct contest, and I found out about it a woppin' 3 days before the deadline.

About the dialogue and just about everything else, it wasn't scripted/planned. Sure I typed up the general story in Final Draft the night before, but I absolutely never have inexperienced actors read scripted lines, for exactly that reason: it sounds like they're reading. I pretty much just gave them the situation and told them to say what they would say given that situation. Same with the cinematography. I had never seen the locations or most of the actor's before I started shooting so I pretty much just made it all up as I went. It was all about what I saw that was available to me.

About the edits in the youtube version. I'm not trying to defend something that I personally feel is a bit lackluster, (I agree with your criticisms.) but the main reason those funky lame cuts are there is because there are quite a few deleted scenes. There was a scene referenced by the father where he pretty much verbally attacks his son in what came out to be quite a powerful scene. My original intent was to contrast the father's abusive character with his remorse seen later. Unfortunately due to time constraints, this cut of the flick ended up on the cutting floor.

Another note, due to the rush I was in to have this finished, I edited it all on iMovie HD. At the time, Final Cut had not been installed on my MacBook Pro.

I really appreciate your feed back, and I know for a fact that I'll be paying very close attention to my transitions in the next flick. (sound issues are a mute point as far as the next one is concerned, considering I have a sound technician in on the project...) I hope you all will join me in the thread I am starting on the "behind the scenes" of my next project. Running feedback welcome.

5. superman666 macrumors regular

Ahh, with that said, you did a really good job. I can understand the time constraints, and even with it you did good. Film is all about practice, and every film after this one will only get better and better.

Good luck

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yep, I'm sure your next one will be even better with a sound technician present. Sorry, I didn't notice in your first post where you said you had an external mic. Keep up the good work.

8. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

I really liked this one. Great angles and just all around it was a great short film.

9. AWalkerStudios thread starter macrumors member

AWalkerStudios

Thanks!

Thanks guys!

Now that I've watched it again, I agree, the girlfriend break up note needed a little bit more of a set up to work better. Perhaps if I had shot a scene with Jeff and his girlfriend having a heated arguement or something....

Next time...