Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcdude

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
I have a 2.8ghz macbook pro running leopard and after finally downloading the latest software update bringing me to 10.5.8 I feel it's running hotter nearly all the time.

when simply using garageband, my MBP never usually ran hotter than 125 F, but after the update it runs at 180 constantly in garageband

could the update have done anything to make this happen, it's the only change I can think of

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
I have a 2.8ghz macbook pro running leopard and after finally downloading the latest software update bringing me to 10.5.8 I feel it's running hotter nearly all the time.

when simply using garageband, my MBP never usually ran hotter than 125 F, but after the update it runs at 180 constantly in garageband

could the update have done anything to make this happen, it's the only change I can think of

Spend $30 to upgrade and find out if that was it

hundert

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
From huge experience with garage band, I doubt that your CPU was only 125F.

But if you are 100% sure it was so, then I don't know.

Also use programs like Temperature Monitoring and not SMC fanControl to check temps. Maybe smc was reading from a wrong diode before the update.

I might be wrong on all of that, but that is all I can help you with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.