latest software update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by archdelux, Mar 1, 2011.

1. archdelux macrumors 6502

Oct 12, 2008
    Is it just me, or did the latest software updates (I don't remember which programs) slow down my computer noticeably?

I know that apple loves doing stuff like this (ie sending out software meant to slow down devices so that you want to buy the new products) and since the new MBPs were just released, I am concerned that this is what is going on..

Or maybe something else is the issue and I am being paranoid, but I have definitely noticed much more lag (on my 1yo MBP) in the last few days.

2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    So you mean the 10.6.6 update or what specific update, as 10.6.6 is almost two months old?
    Btw, I don't have any experience in any slowdowns with point releases since I use Mac OS X 10.3.4.
  3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    It's just you. What update?
    That's a false statement with absolutely no factual evidence to support it. There's not even a motivation to "slow things down".
    That's your paranoia talking.
    Now you're making sense!
    Now that we're past the paranoia and blaming "big bad Apple", let's start troubleshooting your problem.

First things first: can you be more specific in describing symptoms of the "lag"? The more detailed you are, the better.

Things to try, if you haven't already:
    • Reboot
    • Repair permissions
    • Check Activity Monitor to see what apps/processes might be hogging system resources
    • Check System Memory on Activity Monitor, to see if your "Page Outs" and "Swap used" are excessive
    • Verify you have sufficient hard drive space for swap files
    • Check any recently-installed applications
  4. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2010
    Maybe they're slowing down the old Macbook Pros like they did to the iPhone 3G with iOS 4.0..