Latest spectrum auction for AWS-3 closed, $44.9 Billion raised

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Allograft, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

This is why going forward I don't see how T-Mobile and Sprint will be able to compete with Verizon and AT&T. This was just for mid band spectrum. Imagine how much VZ/T will spend in 2016 to keep those two from getting 600Mhz. They have no hope unless the FCC restricts the bidding or something. All that Uncarrier and Half your Bill stuff won't save them.

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Did you see the bid in American Samoa for $2800? I could start a phone company there. :D

We won't know the winning bidders for days. It will be interesting to see if Google or Dish bought any spectrum.

3. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

How does this work anyway? Do they just pay once and its theirs forever?

That seems like it would be irresponsible; wouldn't it be better if the airwaves were leased?

4. wolfaaron macrumors regular

Tmobile has been making a lot of spectrum purchases since 2014. Prior years were slower. They've been doing very good so money isn't really an issue and they're also backed by Deutsche Telekom which also operates in the UK so I wouldn't worry that they won't exist in the future.

Also, I'm sure the FCC will step up and let them compete.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The FCC auctioning off spectrum to the highest bidder is a sham. These are public airwaves not privately traded commodities.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

How much was Manhattan? I heard we picked it up for a song.

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Sprint sat this one out and apparently that's because they do want to participate in the the low-frequency auction next year.

8. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

Looks like AT&T spent the most. They're serious about trying to catch up with Verizon as they've fallen behind in most large cities.

9. Allograft thread starter macrumors regular

It's interesting, if you take a look at a post by Milan in the germane thread on the bidding history in the T-Mobile forum at HoFo, you'll see that it was actually Dish that ran up the price for AWS, not VZW. Dish also got lots of spectrum. Not sure what use the unpaired is good for, but with their paired spectrum..what will dish do?