MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Taylor Swift's new album has achieved a new high for most streamed pop album on Apple Music since its surprise release last week (via Deadline). Folklore set a record for the most streams in a 24-window on the service, reaching 35.47 million plays.

taylor-swift-folklore.jpg

Its success was even more impressive on Spotify, where the singer-songwriter's eighth studio album racked up 79.4 million listens in its first 24 hours of availability, according to Swift's Republic Records label.

Written and recorded remotely during the first few months of the global health crisis, Folklore finds the 30-year-old singer-songwriter teaming up with The National's Aaron Dessner and longtime collaborator Jack Antonoff for a set of ruminative and lo-fi bedroom pop songs.

Since its Thursday release, the album also surpassed 1.3 million global sales in its first twenty-four hours, which should see the album easily debut at No. 1 on the Billboard albums chart, giving it the best showing since Swift's Lover album came out in 2019.

Swift and Apple have famously had a somewhat rocky relationship in previous years, with the artist in 2015 penning an open letter to Apple Music about the service's initial stance on refusing to pay royalties to artists during the three-month free trial period. Swift opposed this aspect of Apple Music, so she decided to keep her 2014 album 1989 off of Apple Music at the time.

Soon after the letter was publicized, Apple reversed course and began paying artists during this period of time when new subscribers are on the free trial of Apple Music. This eventually led to a closer relationship between Swift and Apple, with her music debuting on the service along with the launch of a series of Apple Music ads starring Swift that debuted throughout the spring of 2016.

More recently, last year Swift partnered with Apple in the company's retail store-hosted "Music Lab" sessions, in which customers find out what inspired artists to write their songs.

Article Link: Latest Taylor Swift Album 'Folklore' Sets New Apple Music Streaming Record for a Pop Release

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I love reading comments from tech nerds about Taylor Swift on this website. Never fails to make me laugh.

Hahaha, my other favorite comment type is the "Who? / Never heard of her.", and OK, I get it, you're not a fan, but is this your first time on the internet in the last __decade__? :D

(FWIW, I don't listen to her music either, but recognize her talent)

Comment

SkimPappa

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2016
I like pretty much all her other music. This one just seems like a terrible never ending rant. I tried to find a good song in the bunch but couldn’t. I can’t figure out why people like it. I ended up playing her first couple country albums and enjoying how good it used to be.

Comment

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Hahaha, my other favorite comment type is the "Who? / Never heard of her.", and OK, I get it, you're not a fan, but is this your first time on the internet in the last __decade__? :D

(FWIW, I don't listen to her music either, but recognize her talent)

Well, I hate to be that person and I am not trying to be mean, but I don’t know her, never heard a single song from her. She’s good looking tho.

Comment

yaxomoxay

macrumors demi-god
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I like pretty much all her other music. This one just seems like a terrible never ending rant.

I don't particularly like or dislike her. However, it is clear that she's trying to build a new persona (I wonder if her agents are pushing towards it, it seems so... "coordinated"), probably because she's getting older. Her Netflix documentary was clearly aimed at that.
She's trying the same trick that Madonna has done for decades (from the Lolita, to the activist, to the Jewish convert, etc.) with her various phases, which 99% of the times fails.

Reactions: WWPD
Comment

kirk.vino

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2017
All that commercial mainstream nonsense for people with zero taste lol
There are so many other great musicians and acts out there who would never be promoted like this commercial garbage. This person can’t even properly sing live, always so flat!

Comment

yaxomoxay

macrumors demi-god
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
There are so many other great musicians and acts out there who would never be promoted like this commercial garbage. This person can’t even properly sing live, always so flat!

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Comment

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Hm, interesting that so many people get stuck in their musical youth (or don't explore the past). They don't seem to do that for movies…

Not that Swift can compare with Bowie on any level, but it's intelligent chamber pop for casual listening.

Never heard of her. So old am I. Similarly my daughter has never heard of David Bowie. C’est la vie.
[automerge]1595945186[/automerge]
Metacritic disagrees with 89 points.

[automerge]1595945299[/automerge]
Yup, it's Taylah $WIFT featuring Tyler, the Crea-Tor…

This is, of course, a rap album 🤣

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.