Latest update installation time

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Georgiacx, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Georgiacx macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Am new here so hopefully this is the correct place to post. This evening I installed the 10.9.1 update and it is taking an extremely long time to update. I already had mavericks before this... Did anyone else deal with extremely long installation times? Not sure what to do.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

How long is a "long time"?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What's extremely long?

At what stage are you at, that's taking a long time?

4. Georgiacx thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry it has been a couple of hours and just has "Installing 1 item" nothing has changed for about 2 hours or so now.. Just wondering how long it took everyone else to install the update?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is not normal. Mine took a few minutes tops. I would force a restart and hold down the command-r keys at reboot to get to the recovery console. Then start Disk Utility and do a repair disk to fix any disk errors you may have. Then quit Disk Utility and restart then try the update again.

6. martosprint macrumors 6502

I had a minor problem with the download. After clicking on software update a box popped up saying some updates had to be downloaded first. Well in that same box there was an option that read Not Now or Download and Restart. I clicked on download and restart and nothing was happening after a good half hour. The mouse wasn't responding and the download seemed to freeze up. So what I had to do was force quit the download. After it forced quit I went up to the  and clicked on software update and low and behold it showed the download in progress and all was well.

7. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

Mine took a couple minutes and a restart.

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

VERY quick for me. 2 minutes, tops, to install, plus reboot time after that.