Latest version of Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Wolfhound25ID, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Wolfhound25ID macrumors newbie

Wolfhound25ID

:eek::apple:
    I've been considering an external HD for backup and storage and have read nightmares about WD, SeaGate and Time Capsule. I'd like to stay with Apple and am wondering if the latest version of TC has addressed previous problems. Also what would you guys suggest. I use my MBP for video editing and photography:confused::D

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I dont' know about TC issues being resolved-
    I read this at Time Capsule Dead?

The newer Time Capsule models have almost the exact same design, but they do feature a “green” hard drive that produces significantly less heat. This hard disk may be the saviour of newer Time Capsules (in fact, at the Time Capsule Memorial Register, we exchanged the hard disk of our refurbished replacement Time Capsule for such a disk), but it’s too early to tell.

The web site also says: Any active AppleCare agreement will do (it is impossible to get AppleCare on the Time Capsule itself).
    This effectively means that you can have AppleCare on a computer you purchased after you purchased your Time Capsule. Keep in mind that AppleCare is what Apple calls their 1-year standard warranty, so it’s not neccessary to have puchased additional 3-year extended AppleCare (Protection Plan) to apply for this option (you just need to have a computer within the 1-year warranty period).

so long story short- if you get a TC then be sure you have an Apple Care warranty active at about 18 months. :D

3. Wolfhound25ID thread starter macrumors newbie

Wolfhound25ID

Time Capsule

Mahalo flyfish29,

I'll keep that in mind while I look into other HD's. I really like what TC offers, auto backup and remote access etc., is there any other external HD that offer the same features?
    :eek:

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

there isn't another drive itself that will do that, as the TC is a router/backup drive all in one, but you could also get an airport extreme (or other wireless router with USB, eSATA or FireWire connectivity, and buy an external HD to plug into it and do roughly the same thing with that as you would the TC.

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

If I had to do it again (I have a TC) I would do the above. I have apple care for my MBP so I am covered for now. So unless you are planning on a purchase the next two+ years you might want to do something else. (Not that other HD's won't have issues either!)

My best advice- make sure your backup works (I had an issue with my TM TC backup dying and then my SuperDuper backup wouldn't boot up either when my MBP HD failed!:eek: So be sure to have a third backup of sorts- preferably off site. Depending on how much new content you add to your system it could be something that is backup'd daily, weekly, monthly or even every 2-6 months.

I only add new pictures every few weeks, don't create a large amount of docs and save most everything in folders on my email so daily is not necessary. HOwever because of my difficulty restoring my data after a hard drive failure on my MBP I have three backup options.

1.) TC using Time Machine to backup hourly+

2) Super Duper clone which I keep in a firebox at home and backup ever 2 weeks or so.

3.) I have a copy of my user folders to a smaller HD off site just in case. I backup this HD every 6 months or so. that way I have the majority of my kids pics, etc if a fire.

good luck

6. radicalcentrist macrumors member

my setup

I have the above setup with an Airport Extreme and a Seagate external HD. I occasionally have problems with one of my iMacs (on wireless) locating its Time Machine backup, but other than that, as I posted in another thread...

Time Machine and SuperDuper (bootable clone) for two iMacs and one MBP go to the Seagate 1.5TB drive, plus BackBlaze for remote file backups from the two iMacs.

I also use Chronosync to make sure that my work iMac and my MBP documents folders are identical.

This way, I have two backups of each of my three computers on the Seagate, my work files are doubled (being on both the MBP and the iMac), and if our house was broken into and everything was taken, including our Seagate drive, all of our pictures, movies, music and documents are remotely living with BackBlaze.

7. Wolfhound25ID thread starter macrumors newbie

Wolfhound25ID

Backup

Mahalo brahs for all your input. Lots to consider..I'm now looking at Drobo s and TowerRAID TR5UT-B - 5 Bay SATA to USB2.0 / eSATA Hardware RAID 5 Enclosure (Black). Anyone have knowledge or experience?
    Love this forum..should have joined a while back!
    :apple::D

8. Wolfhound25ID thread starter macrumors newbie

Wolfhound25ID

forgot

I take my MBP on the road daily for on site photography, will plugging and unplugging a backup HD cause any problems?
    :apple::D