Latest Video Card for 2-year-old Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Zillax0rz, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Zillax0rz macrumors newbie

So I have a Mac Pro acquired somewhere in early 2007, I believe. Quad Core with a Radeon X1900.

What are compatible cards for it today? I mostly use it as a Windows box. I believe I heard I can use special drivers to enable Crossfire? I could then a get newer ATI card and pair it with the X1900, right?

Trying to beef up my games since I just added a very high-res monitor.

Thanks!

2. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

SLI / Crossfire must be used with 2 identical cards (chipset / ram) .. brand doesnt matter

as for the rest of your questions im not sure

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Apple will be releasing the NVIDIA GTX 120 for Mac Pros.

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Right now your best option is an ATI 3870 Mac card - ATI do their own upgrade card. If you get two of them then you can run them through Crossfire in Windows (that's what I do). You can either get two 3870 Mac cards or one 3870 Mac card, a 3870 PC card and then diy yourself a power cable for the PC card using the ATA power cables in your optical bay (yes you can rout things through relatively neatly although it will make you shout, trust me).

Some people will say that two 3870s on only an 8x PCIe slot each (after you've set the PCIe slots up that way) will cause big drops in performance but, honestly, it just isn't true. You lose about 8% in performance with 2x3870s in crossfire mode on two 8x slots as opposed to two 16x slots (which the original Mac Pro doesn't have). Its still way faster than one 3870 in a 16x slot.