Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I was reading the latest issue of Macworld here in Australia and it had an article on LaTeX and all..anyone use it? I got it and did a science assignment on it yesterday along with a pretty good tutorial...anyway, check here for a Cocoa GUI frontend...if anyone wants the tutorial PDF for some reason or another, email me...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's nice to see that TeX is still around after almost 30 years. Of course, you can still use proff and nroff for your documentation via the command prompt. Who needs a word processor anyway? :D

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by cb911
i don't get it? what is it and what does it do?:confused:

It's a mathematical equation editor and printing tool. It came from a time when there were very few (none maybe) dot matrix printers, let alone inkjet or laser printers.

It's kinda nice that it has a graphical interface. That certainly makes it easier.

If you're interested in what a mess it could be, look at the man entries for proff or nroff or troff. I haven't looked at the raw man pages, but they may be set up that way.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
LaTeX is based on TeX and the link I posted uses pdflatex to make the final documents..ie, the babble turns into a pdf when you compile it...

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Ah this is sweet... thanks for that link!

I'm using latex to do a bigass assignment at uni at the moment. It's fricken great. Ever tried to use more than a couple of images in ms word? Eek. But latex just does it like you tell it to (ms could learn a lot from that ;))

It's a very powerful tool...

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I'm using Scientific Notebook, and it converts the stuff I type on the screen to LaTex. When I switch to a mac, I'm getting VPC just so I can run this piece of software. I might upgrade to Scientific Word...

But its a good program that uses LaTex. Its a lot easier to create math/physics documents on it then mathematica...then again, I'm lousy in the mathematica language. And matlab. And Maple, etc.

Scientific Notebook, Word, Workplace, do a google search, check it out. Its not a bad piece of software.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by cb911
ok, i think that i'm finally starting to understand what it is...

but i can't understand why you all are so interested in it?

I never really had to use it. I was more interested in programming that sort of thing. The man who developed TeX is revered as a god to many mathematicians.

On the other hand, if I needed an equation editor, I would probably do it using a word processor. Lotus Ami Pro had a good one way back when. I wonder how many products are available for Macintosh to do that sort of thing. I suppose I'll research it more as I enter Calculus...eeeek.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.