Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
USA
Hey all,

I'm having a problem with my bibliography. I use papers to export the BibTex file to BibDesk, fix any problems, and then use Tex Shop to integrate the citations and bibliography into my paper. I'm still on my first draft of my dissertation so it's not critical but it's driving me nuts. I'm using \citebibliographystyle{chicago}.

Anyway, it converts the title of any paper into lower case except for the first word and any word following a colon :)).

So... the Bib entry is like...

Clark, C. W., F. H. Clarke, and G. R. Munro (1979). The optimal exploita-
tion of renewable resource stocks: Problems of irreversible investment.
Econometrica 47 (1), 25–47.

Anyone know how to fix it? Thanks all...

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Hey all,

I'm having a problem with my bibliography. I use papers to export the BibTex file to BibDesk, fix any problems, and then use Tex Shop to integrate the citations and bibliography into my paper. I'm still on my first draft of my dissertation so it's not critical but it's driving me nuts. I'm using \citebibliographystyle{chicago}.

Anyway, it converts the title of any paper into lower case except for the first word and any word following a colon :)).

So... the Bib entry is like...

Clark, C. W., F. H. Clarke, and G. R. Munro (1979). The optimal exploita-
tion of renewable resource stocks: Problems of irreversible investment.
Econometrica 47 (1), 25–47.

Anyone know how to fix it? Thanks all...

In BibDesk, for any word in the title that you want to have a capital letter, surroud the letter by { }. Thus, using your example:

The {O}ptimal {E}xploitation of {R}enewable {R}esource {S}tocks: Problems of {I}rreversible {I}nvestment.

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
USA
I'm aware of that hack... But with 70+ papers - that might take a while.. Thanks for the help.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I'm aware of that hack... But with 70+ papers - that might take a while.. Thanks for the help.

The lower case thing is a property of the bibliography style. The {} forces latex to print the character 'as is'. The only other solution is to find a style that uses capitalization of all words.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
In BibDesk, for any word in the title that you want to have a capital letter, surroud the letter by { }. Thus, using your example:

The {O}ptimal {E}xploitation of {R}enewable {R}esource {S}tocks: Problems of {I}rreversible {I}nvestment.

Or you can put the whole title in brackets {The Optimal Exploitation of Renewable Resource Stocks: Problems of Irreversible Investment}, this reduces the typing quite a bit. Also ctrl-a, crtl-e ist your friend here...

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
USA
Hey all,

Thanks for the help... I figured I would post my results in editing the .bst file for future reference (personal as well others).

sudo mv /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/bibtext/bst/beebe/chicago.bst /(directory of LaTeX document). Open it in your favorite editor. Line 540 or so contains the change.case$ command. Comment that out and it'll work.

Thanks all.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Hey all,

Thanks for the help... I figured I would post my results in editing the .bst file for future reference (personal as well others).

sudo mv /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/bibtext/bst/beebe/chicago.bst /(directory of LaTeX document). Open it in your favorite editor. Line 540 or so contains the change.case$ command. Comment that out and it'll work.

Thanks all.

Since you are now no longer using the official Chicago style I would suggest saving the bst file under a new name.

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
USA
Point well taken. Although, the comments in the bst file suggest that it can be switched to either. At any rate, it shall now be known as the revisedchicago.bst file. Regards,

Ken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.