Latex in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alanlindsay, Mar 4, 2008.

1. alanlindsay macrumors member

Has anyone here tried building Latex in OSX? I see the source files are available at miktex.org. Anyone had success with building these who could advise me somewhat? I'm awaiting my first apple (base MBP) and have some familiarity with Linux but none with OSX. Cheers,
    Alan

2. Hydramus macrumors member

I use TeXShop, and it suits my needs perfectly. There isn't really much i can tell you since writing in TeX would be the same on any platform won't it?

This page is handy, if you haven't already seen it. It has all the info you need on using LaTeX on a mac.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Installing_LaTeX_on_a_Mac

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Pretty much, though the editing software might be different/better/worse.

The LaTeX guide links to the MacTeX package, which is 900MB, but is very very easy to install.

4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

I use both iTeXMac2 and TeXShop as LaTeX front ends. You can download additional TeX/LaTeX packages anytime through Fink and/or MacPorts.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Added to the Mac Guide.

To be honest I think the 900MB installer gets everything, so you don't need to install anything else. i-installer (included in MacTex) is probably still the easiest way to add LaTeX packages, even though it isn't supported anymore, though I haven't needed to add any additional packages myself.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I find my local mirror to be a little faster. ;)

http://ftp.math.purdue.edu/mirrors/ctan.org/systems/mac/mactex/

One more thing, MacTeX installs architecture specific libraries and not universal ones. The installer is universal but you can't image a PowerPC Mac and have the Intel TeX libraries work.

I'll figure out how to get my NetInstall workflow to make sure the proper libraries are installed from the package one of these days.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

i-Installer is no longer supported. It is not included in the current or recent versions of MacTeX.

8. chem macrumors regular