LaTeXit

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jellz, Jun 16, 2007.

1. jellz macrumors regular

Hello. I'm just playing around with my new mbp and decided to give LaTeXit a try, but I dont know what "Working pdflatex, latex, dvipdf and Ghostscript (gs)" is. Can someone help me out?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If you want to use Latex, may I suggest TexShop. Their website provides very useful step by step guidelines for installing all the latex libraries.

3. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

I assume your're asking about the "Working pdflatex, latex, dvipdf and Ghostscript (gs)" bit, and not what is LaTeX to begin with.

Basically, if I understand you corretly, a fully operational latex sysetm is needed in order to use Latexit. Well, the easiest (but not economical in terms of disk space) way to do it would be to download MacTeX.dmg from http://www.tug.org/mactex/ and install it. I think it installs pdflatex by default, but I'm not so sure about ghostscript. It also installs TeXShop, which, as the previous poster had said, is a good latex editor/frontend for the mac.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You have to install LaTeX to use LaTeXiT.

To install LaTeX MacTex is the easiest way to go as it includes everything (and certainly includes ghostscript, I use it on my Macs with LaTeXiT and TeXShop regularly).

You might find the MacGuide Installing LaTeX on a Mac useful as it explains everything.

PS If you just use TeXShop you don't get a proper LaTeX installation, so installing MacTeX is highly recommended, also TeXShop is designed for writing whole documents rather than just equations and isn't as easy for beginners to get their feet wet with.

PPS The Guide also explains what LaTeX is if you are unsure.

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

To use LaTeXiT you must install teTeX, a free LaTeX backend. With teTeX installed, you will be able to use virtually free LaTeX app available for MacOS X. Follow am3822's link for everything that you need.

6. cube macrumors G4

7. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

First of all -- thanks, I had no idea what the 'Tags' menu is for, until you've mentioned it here. Anyway, it's quite full in mine (working on a multi-file document). I assume that the tags are taken from the various \chapter, \section, \subsection, etc. you're using in your project. If you're using chapter/sections and not seeing anyting there, you could try to recompile the project after you've thrashed the aux files (two passes should do it, I think) .

8. jellz thread starter macrumors regular

thanks a lot guys! I'm going to give it a try later.

9. jellz thread starter macrumors regular