Laughable Real Advertisements for April 26

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I used to remember when I HAD to use a Winblows machine.

Real Player was like a freaking virus. If the machine didn't already come with it and you downloaded it, it took over every aspect of your machine. It was/is almost impossible to completely uninstall.

I broke down last year and installed WMP on my machines, but Real will never be on any of my Macs.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Having said that I don't particularly like what they've become; 10 years ago they did bring live streaming audio/video over the internet to the masses.

I remember sitting in 95/96 amazed that I could watch stuff live from California while sitting in my study in Newcastle; sure it was highly pixellated and it kept having to buffer but back then, it was cool...

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Applespider said:
sure it was highly pixellated and it kept having to buffer but back then
That's still how it is today!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
So it looks like April 26th may be a real big day for more than one reason. :D

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
daveL said:
It's yet another rumored release date for new PMs, etc.
It's funny how people watch for every Tuesday. New computers are definitely not coming out this Tuesday. Apple would never take the spotlight (pun intended) off Tiger this close to launch. Give it up.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Raven VII said:
It's funny how people watch for every Tuesday. New computers are definitely not coming out this Tuesday. Apple would never take the spotlight (pun intended) off Tiger this close to launch. Give it up.
They will if they want the Tiger launch to take the spotlight off the underwhelming PowerMacs. :(

emdotdee

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2003
Widnes, Cheshire, England.
it's mine and my next door neighbours birthday on the 26th of april too.

in my group of friends there is about 5-10 birthdays within a space of about 3 weeks around this time, crazy.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
iGary said:
I used to remember when I HAD to use a Winblows machine.

Real Player was like a freaking virus. If the machine didn't already come with it and you downloaded it, it took over every aspect of your machine. It was/is almost impossible to completely uninstall.

I broke down last year and installed WMP on my machines, but Real will never be on any of my Macs.
real is the most annoying sh&^% piece of malware you can have on a PC. i will never install it on a mac.

i'd rather not watch videos released for real player than letting them screw up my system.

why do people still release content for real player? everybody knows its crap. what does one gain from using real?

andi

edit: how do they make money anyway? who is dumb enough to pay them? or am I missing the business model?

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I used to have Real player installed 5 years ago. Now I don't even want to play any video or audio files encoded in Real format. Look at the rate at how they have degraded....

emdotdee

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2003
Widnes, Cheshire, England.
i've never had a problem with real player on my iMac. atleast when i use it i get to see all of the movie/video.

when i use windows media player for streaming, the video will always, without fail, go all crappy/jumpy or just stops within the final 3rd of the video which is very annoying.

don't think i've ever had a problem with quicktime though.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
so can anybody explain to me how the internet was revolutionized on april 26th?

like most people i forgot to check the real website. when i checked it today it says something about 25 songs for free if you poison your computer with some real software s$%^.

but i don't get the concept of their music service yet.

andi