Launch 2012 RMBP just got a dead pixel, and has ghosting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arcadia310, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Arcadia310 macrumors regular

Hey all. I've had my RMBP (launch model) since they first came out last year. I have had issues with ghosting and performance but nothing that has made me want to go out and return it or get a repair. However, today I JUST noticed a dead pixel near the middle of the screen. I'm pretty sure the pixel is new because I've NEVER seen it before.

What do you guys recommend I do? I don't have AppleCare. What are their policies on repairs without AppleCare? Would they just repair the screen or replace the whole laptop?

2. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

1. use dead pixel testing....google it
    2. if theres dead pixel they'll replace the screen
    3. if the same issue persists more than 3 times, replace whole laptop.

3. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

They'll do this without AppleCare right?

----------

Just did a dead pixel test and theres definitely a dead one. Kinda sucks. How long is the turn around for screen replacements?

4. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

without applecare, you have to pay for the screen....
    i'm not sure about free machine replacement without applecare though

it depends on the queue and whether they can replace it behind the store.

5. Daniel L macrumors 6502

They not obligated do anything for free since your warranty has expired. It doesn't hurt to try though, sometimes you find a sympathetic genius.

6. samuelk0814 macrumors member

The oldest this laptop can be really is a year or a little more...even if you're a little out of your warranty they'll probably fix it for you.
    In my opinion, the standard 1 year applecare is kinda ridiculous...you pay a high premium and only get support for 1 year? i mean come on...

7. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Arcadia310 if you purchased your MacBook with a credit card you may have your warranty extended for a year. AMEX and Discover offer this.

8. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah the laptop is just over a year old. I'm going to drop by the store today and see what they can do.

9. Arcadia310 thread starter macrumors regular

Apple agreed to replace the screen for free! I've heard a lot of horror stories from people here about replacement screens being even worse. Has anyone gotten a replacement screen that was even better than their original? Besides retention and the dead pixel, everything about this screen is fantastic.