Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Launch Center Pro, an app that offers quick access shortcuts for everyday tasks, today released a major update that adds quite a bit of new functionality.

Version 3.0 of the app introduces NFC triggers, letting the iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max trigger actions using custom NFC stickers. In-app NFC scanning is available for the iPhone 7 and later.

launchcenterpro3-800x572.jpg

NFC stickers can be purchased within the Launch Center Pro app and through Contrast's website. NFC stickers can be associated with different trigger actions, and will cause an action to launch via a notification when used.

So, for example, you can put a sticker on your nightstand that triggers a shortcut showing your list of alarms, which will then pop up automatically when you place an iPhone XS, XS Max, or XR near it, or you can put a sticker in the car that triggers a message to someone letting them know your ETA.

There are endless options for these NFC stickers for tasks like triggering HomeKit scenes, getting directions to a specific place, starting music or podcasts, and more.

A new advanced scheduling feature in Launch Center Pro 3.0 is designed to let you assign more than one schedule to a single action, and Launch Center Pro actions can now be turned into Siri Shortcuts with Siri support.

New themes have been added to the app, including a "True Black" theme designed for Apple's OLED devices. Alternate app icons have been added so you can choose from various color variations and all past Launch Center Pro icons, and there's an option to import icons from the Shortcuts app.

@LaunchCenterPro 3.0 is now available! We've reworked much of the app to make it lightning fast and added lots of great new features. My favorite: you can now trigger actions (and Shortcuts) via custom NFC stickers! Stickers: https://t.co/CNSWvLl9Lb App: https://t.co/XZUEqiXK2H pic.twitter.com/zDJWNuhWKZ - David Barnard (@drbarnard) December 18, 2018

Also new is support for the iPhone XR, XS, and XS Max, and this version of the app is also universal, which means the dedicated Launch Center Pro for iPad app has been retired.

With the update, Launch Center Pro is free to download, with an in-app subscription and in-app purchases available to unlock full functionality.

Anyone who has paid for Launch Center Pro in the past will be able to continue using the existing paid features sans subscription, but access to the new features in the 3.0 version will require a subscription purchase or one of several other payment options. Launch Center Pro also offers a one-time payment of $29.99 to unlock the 3.0 content ($24.99 for existing users) and individual 3.0 update features can be unlocked for one-time purchase prices starting at $1.99.

Launch Center Pro can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Launch Center Pro Gains NFC Triggers, New Themes, Siri Shortcuts Support and More

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
This app is much more difficult to use than Shortcuts. Surprised they didn’t try to make Actions easier to build. I don’t see this new subscription model being very popular. Plus they let version 2 wither on the vine for quite some time.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I just updated to 3.0. NFC, Shortcuts support, and scheduled actions are very welcomed additions.

$5 for a pack of 5 NFC stickers (plus tax but free shipping in US) seems pretty fair, allowing me to put stickers around the house, car, or office to trigger action. For instance, tapping my phone against an NFC sticker on my car can send a text to my spouse with estimated arrival time.

Scheduled actions is pretty intriguing. I am not sure what I would need to schedule though.

Having said that, I am not sure these improvements are worth $25 one time upgrade fee.

I was hoping for more dramatically overhauled launch screen, but it's largely unchanged. As much as I prefer Shortcuts app overall, it's terrible at organization. Launch Center Pro is better in this regard, but not enough. I would've loved to see multiple styles, such as CarPlay-like minimal layout and multiple layouts depending on the location or other factors (similar to Launcher app).

I will play with it more. Maybe there are some new features I am aware of?
[doublepost=1545163017][/doublepost]
This app is much more difficult to use than Shortcuts. Surprised they didn’t try to make Actions easier to build. I don’t see this new subscription model being very popular. Plus they let version 2 wither on the vine for quite some time.
On-boarding process has been Launch Center Pro's weakness. It's tedious to learn and setup LCP to a point where you can start appreciating its power. To large degree, the same can be said for Shortcuts, which is probably why iOS 12 evolved Workflows into Shortcuts app and more user accessible Siri Shortcuts.

Last edited:

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I thought developers couldn’t use the NFC capability in the iPhone? Wasn’t that why the Australian Banks were complaining about being unable to create their own digital wallets?

Scooz

Suspended
Apr 9, 2012
Read the description too fast and expected a complaint thread about the 29.99 subscription... o_O

But now I understand that it‘s even worse and I will need a new phone for directly using those simple stickers since my original X won‘t support that feature in full :mad:

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I thought developers couldn’t use the NFC capability in the iPhone? Wasn’t that why the Australian Banks were complaining about being unable to create their own digital wallets?

They can read tags now, but can't send custom data, which would be needed.

Reactions: danmart

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
This app is interesting. I've wanted to add a backup camera to a vehicle without running wires and/or adding a screen on the dash. iOS versions exist but if I have to start the app each time I doubt it will get used; if this can automatically open it when I set my phone on the mount it would be nice.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Read the description too fast and expected a complaint thread about the 29.99 subscription...

Looks like they're one-time purchases instead of recurring software rental charges. If I wanted this functionality, I'd pay, no problem.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
I've been using this app for a couple days, and so far like it a lot. I have paid to enable more actions, and custom icon. May do more shortly. Here are my thoughts on it so far:

1) The learning curve has not been too bad. I've already set it up fairly well. That said, I wish there was a place to go for common url formulas. For example, I copy/paste from one of the contact examples... where if you click on it it gives you a menu with several choices (text, call, facetime, email). I've figured out how to modify that by removing some choices for people I don't need those choices, and changing Facetime to Facetime Audio for some people. But I would have never figured out all that on my own. More example templates in there might be useful.

2) The Action Composer has selections for Featured, System, Apps with Actions, All Supported Apps, Featured Apps. I often have to go to the All Supported Apps.... which has an extremely huge list of apps, many of which aren't even available on App Store any more. I wish they would add another menu option that ive seen on other apps before: Installed Apps. This would help, because even searching for something within All Supported Apps often still returns 20-50 apps.

3) Some apps I can't locate. I am aware that Apple removed a lot of the Settings actions... so i'm not expecting those. But I have had trouble with finding Calculator (the stock one), and Messages (to just open the app), and App Store (to just open the App).

4) I seriously wish Apple would make iOS function more like this app. Im tired of their icons, with their non-adjustable nature. And I don't like the way folders function (for example, once you launch an app within a folder, the folder is still open after you leave the app). This setup is way cooler.

5) I too think the pricing is very reasonable. Have had no problem with the in-app purchases I've made so far, and expect to do a couple more of the options shortly.

Good app so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.