Launch day carrier store vs Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chi_guy26, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Chi_guy26 macrumors member

Anyone here ever line up for a launch and if so where do you have more luck at a carrier store or an Apple Store?

2. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

3. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

You can have luck at carrier store if looking for a non popular model, like 7 32 GB Silver.

4. rarebeauty macrumors 6502

rarebeauty

I've always had luck at the Apple Store.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The Apple Store just gets so much more stock so you're chance of getting what you want is better there.

6. Chi_guy26 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice everyone. Any suggestions on how early I should show up?

7. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

Get in line at midnight.

8. Tommo66 macrumors newbie

Always a carrier store in the UK for me. Queue has always been shorter than the Apple store where the queue has mostly consisted of people of Chinese and Indian appearance waiting to buy one to send abroad before it is released there.

9. pish6969 macrumors regular

Carrier store all the way..Verizon offering $650 for my Iphone 6 Apple Store offering $225..no brainer

10. Chi_guy26 thread starter macrumors member

Yea I've heard a lot of carrier stores have good deals but that's not the most important. I just want. 7+ that's not rose gold. Don't even care bout storage size.

11. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

Apple Stores get massive amounts of stock compared to the carrier stores. On that note, however, if you're not after a super difficult to obtain color or model you may have luck at a carrier store. If you do decide to give a carrier store a shot, make sure to go to a corporate location, not a dealer.

And either way - get there early! We're talking like in the evening on Thursday.

12. MacintoshDan macrumors regular

Apple Stores get more stock, but also more people in line. For the 5s launch (the last one I camped at), I went to a AT&T corporate store in the same complex as an Apple Store. I got there around 12 and was first in line. The Apple Store was a mob already. The line at AT&T didn't get crazy until about an hour before it opened, before that it was just 2 of us. AT&T had everything in stock but Gold phones (It was the first year for gold, kinda like this years Jet Black). I say go to a carrier store personally. I am going to be at a T-Mobile store of some sort Friday.

13. pish6969 macrumors regular

Yeah I did this in 2014 for Iphone 6..I got there at 5:00 am and was first in line. They had a couple 6+ phone but I got the regular 6 with 64gbs. I plan on getting the regular 7 with 128gbs and the normal black color..shouldn't have any issues getting that. They will probably have a few 7+ phones, but like you said..who knows what colors..

I'm just a little shocked that more people wouldn't do the carrier way because of the promotion on Verizon and ATT. $425 difference is nothing to sneeze at

14. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

Well it depends... I believe you have to own your phone outright or have purchased it on a 2 year contract to be eligible for IB credits to make the phone free. If you're on an existing installment plan for a device, generally the only option is to do a standard upgrade through whatever channel you prefer, then return your old device to your carrier in good condition.

15. Chi_guy26 thread starter macrumors member

I would love to save some money but I'm just to impatient to care.

16. pish6969 macrumors regular

Yeah.in 2014 I had 2 yr contract that is now over..I paid $40 for line access and paid $300 upfront for Iphone 6. Now I will go into 2 yr payment plan. My line access goes to $20 and with the credit, I only pay $4 monthly. $16 dollar difference. My wife currently has Iphone 6 she took out in Jan 2015, they made her do the 2 yr payment plan back then and she owes $150 on it. So I'll take hers in, payoff the $150 trade it in and get her phone for $4 monthly..it was previously $31 per month.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2016 ---
    Lol..I've been impatient for certain things so I get it. Truthfully, if I didn't see this promotion with Verizon, I would have just held onto my 6 until it died or started slowing down. This is not a knock on the Iphone 7, it's a thumbs up to my 6 which I love and never had a problem with