Launch day iPhone 5 - Will Genius Bar replace with newer AWS version?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmk1974, Mar 14, 2014.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I have a 64 GB iPhone 5 that I got on launch day in 2012. Originally on AT&T and I got it unlocked by AT&T (ran the restore on iTunes and got the confirmation).

I just switched to T-Mobile. The SIM works fine in it, but the speeds are often slower and on Edge. After some research, it looks like they made a change to the iPhone 5 in March 2013 to have the internal radio support the T-Mobile bands.

The phone is still the A1428 model number, but in the phone About screen it says model MD642LL/A. It looks like the newer versions of this same phone from 2013 all start with a ME prefix instead of MD.

If I take this phone to my local Genius Bar, do you think they would swap it out for the newer version? I do have AppleCare+ and don't want the phone to have an "accident" to take it in for such a replacement. Curious if other have encountered this issue and if you were able to resolve it at a Genius Bar. Thanks!

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yes all iphone 5 replacement now have AWS band. And just tell them for some reasons u only get edge on tmobile.

3. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Cool, that is very good to know.

Is there any likelihood that they would just replace mine for me because I want the newer AWS version? Or would I have to probably pay for the swap?

4. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

What is a AWS version ?!
    Thank you

----------

What is an AWS verison ?!

Thank you

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

6. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

No, it is not. I got mine in Sept 2012.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I would call them before you go up there and ask. If they say no they cannot replace it for that reason, let it take a swim in the toilet and cash in on the applecare+. Yours will cost $50 to replace since it was purchased before the price hike. IMO, that is easily worth the extra $50. I also think they will replace it for you for free though.

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Just go there play dumb and tell them for some reason your iphone is always on edge where u know it supposes to be LTE. They will look at the band and your current carreir, then will swap it for free under warranty. Trust me ive done it couple times.

9. ABC5S macrumors 68040

So both of you thugs want to teach him to cheat an lie to Apple. Great, this some day will bite use all in the rear with higher prices. If I were, and I am not, a moderator, I would ban all those that suggest such cheating. :mad:

10. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

:D

Well, I actually went to the Genius Bar at lunch and did explain to them that the phone was always only showing Edge mode. I had my other phone with me too and the tech swapped the sims and so on and confirmed it. He tried a restore and no help. I didn't even ask or anything, but he offered to exchange the phone for a free replacement which I accepted. Had him confirm the sim worked at 4G speed in the replacement phone and off I went.

VERY happy with the Apple service of course in this instance. Couldn't be happier...glad I didn't resort to doing something malicious like breaking the phone or something to get the $50 replacement under the AppleCare+.

The model on this replacement is NE490LL/A.

11. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Lold like u never cheat! Anyway that was the truth. Phone is always on edge instead of LTE. There goes the error.