Launch iTunes in background at login?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DarkHeraldMage, Nov 19, 2007.

1. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I'm a recent switcher and am intrigued by the idea of having iTunes be a startup program so it'll already be there for when I want to listen to music. However, I don't want it to open up as soon as I'm logging in. Is there a way to make it run in the background without actually launching the main window until I'm ready for it? Thanks!

Afterthought: If I have it launch in a different space, if it's the only app launching at startup will it automatically redirect me to that space? (I'm not at home and can't test at the moment)

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

not sure about the spaces question, haven't tried it, but this is what you do to have it launched at startup/login and have it hidden (you'll just have to click the icon to bring it forward).

System Prefs> Accounts> choose user> Login Items tab at top> add iTunes to the list and check it off to have it hidden.

3. DarkHeraldMage thread starter macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

Thank you so much! I'll do it as soon as I get home in a couple hours. It's people like you on this forum that really help us switchers with the transition. :)

As for the spaces part of it, since I can now make it hidden I'll just use spaces preferences to set it to open in something other than the default, and since it's hidden it won't matter. Yay!

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

in response to the question re: Spaces, the answer is yes. it's what i do with iTunes, Mail, and iCal, each opens in a different Space but i only see my first Space.