launch OSX applications in the background

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pendolino, Nov 10, 2009.

1. pendolino macrumors member

pendolino

hi - is it possible to launch OSX applications in the background without allowing them to steal focus from the current app? i sometimes want to have an application launch and not interrupt what i am currently doing.

here's an example:

i'm copying text from a webpage using safari and that i plan to edit in MS Office Word and so right after i open the webpage and its loading i use spotlight to launch Word and then go back to Safari. What happens is that while it is opening, at some point it will come to the front and interrupt my session in Safari.

is there a way around this? possibly a tool or tweak that adjusts this behavior in OSX snow leopard? have other people requested such a feature?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I've noticed this too, mostly with Office apps. I don't know of any way around it.

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

There is a way to do it from the Terminal:

Try this:

open -a TextEdit

Then this:

open -g -a TextEdit

Not sure that helps you guys any.....

S-

4. pendolino thread starter macrumors member

pendolino

that is absolutely sweet but don't tell me its only available from the terminal?! hasn't anyone found a way to set system default for application launches?

such a seemingly minor request...

5. georgi0 macrumors regular

georgi0

6. howbotnik macrumors newbie

can you not put the terminal code into Automator and created a small program to launch the app?