launch week 5s now dust under camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mustu, Dec 4, 2013.

1. mustu macrumors 6502

Hi my launch week 5s appears to have dust under the camera. 3 really small spec that can be visible in sunlight or under a 10x loop.

I know it was not there before as i checked it with a 10x loop when i got it.

I hope more dont get in. Can you see if you guys have any?

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

the launch iPhone 5's had this issue from the factory. apple genius said it happens sometimes when assembly accidentally allows dust in. they cleaned it out for me on the spot, no issue...no cost. if its really bad, they may swap it out. bring it to an apple store and see what they say.

3. richard371 macrumors 68000

I had this issue with my iPhone 5 and it got so bad you could see the spots in pics of a solid color such as a sheet of paper. They swapped it out and the replacement never got dust. I have not gotten any in my 5S yet knock on wood. I think it was coming in through the little microphone hole next to the camera.

4. solo118 macrumors 65816

It happened to my launch week 5 and they replaced it, no questions asked.

Happened to my replacement a few months ago, and they replaced it again no questions asked. I am sure they will take care of you :cool:

I have a launch week 5S now, and no dust in the camera (knock on wood)

5. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Anyone having this issue using compressed air to clean their phone?

All we are is dust on the lens...

6. mustu thread starter macrumors 6502

I will just have it cleaned out at the store rather than swap it and have other issues with the phone. It's like playing Russian roulette

7. nickelro macrumors member

I can confirm I had one speck of dust on the inner edge of the protective glass out of the box (mine was made in wk 40 btw).
    Lately 2 more smaller particles joined aside the "native" one :mad:

8. mustu thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly the same thing happened to mine but i cant see it under a naked eye........... unless under super bright sun light.

9. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I had an iPhone 4 that got dust under the camera about 10 months after I got it. Apple store apologised massively and swapped out without question.

10. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

I feel your pain OP, I am super OCD and my launch day gold 5s that I got had one speck of dust under the camera lens.

Then just today I noticed there was another speck of dust on the back of the lense, close to the first speck.

I put my phone in and out of my pocket every day and compress air it. I'm wondering if there is a leak.

You guys think they will allow me to swap it out for a brand new one? Not referring to a replacement in a white box, but a brand new iphone in original sealed box?

i got this off-contract at full price.

11. mustu thread starter macrumors 6502

Get it cleaned out that is a better option trust me.

12. 1DApple macrumors member

Wow...

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You blow it out every day with compressed air? You may be causing the problem. These things aren't sealed...what would lead you to believe that?

You're outside of the return period, If you take it in for an issue they'll give you a replacement. It won't be retail unit in a sealed retail box, it'll be a warranty replacement unit in a sealed white box.

This really shouldn't be an issue. The unit you bought may have a defect, but it's nearly 3 months old now. Apple will make it right with a white box replacement unit that may or may not have been refurbished, but the device itself will be in NEW condition.

14. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Dust under the lens isn't a problem unless it appears as grey blobs in photos and video.

I had a 5 last year and weeks before the warranty expired grey blobs from dust started to appear in photos. Apple had no problem swapping the phone.

15. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Screw dust. Unless it reduces the photo quality, who cares.