launchbar or quicksilver?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dukebound85, May 12, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

which do you prefer. im curious as im starting to use qs but i have heard launch bar is preety sweet itself. any of you have opinions on which is better?

2. jcs1088 macrumors regular

I prefer LaunchBar, but Quicksilver is free so that's what I've been using.

EDIT: Just remembered that LaunchBar is technically free. I also like that Quicksilver can sit in the menubar.

3. jcs1088 macrumors regular

that's a very interesting application.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I really like how customizable quicksilver is. However I have heard that Launchbar is easier to learn, but I have no experience with it.

5. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Indeed, it's better when you only use the keyboard activation. In my case, I hit two times Option. It's fast and snappy, and has a great user interface.

6. Slumbercub macrumors regular

Don't forget about Butler as well.

I have tried Quicksilver and, quite frankly, I find it actually counter productive - it just never did what I wanted it to do. Launchbar is far better in my opinion, even though it isn't as customizable and comprehensive (if you include QS plug ins).

I eventually found that all I was using these apps for was launching other apps, finding a file or a music track. So now I just use Spotlight which does the job just as well as any of the others.

7. jcs1088 macrumors regular

Now that I think about, I use Quicksilver just to launch apps and folders for the most part. Plus Spotlight is a built-in app, so no matter what mac I'm on, I'll be fine.

8. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

im using quicksilver and it seems more than capable. i am confused why people would pay for a similar program. i had just heard its better and am trying to see if that was an accurate statement

9. Vegabondsx macrumors newbie

I haven't used launchbar that much, but I could never part with Quicksilver. Sapiens is interesting and some may prefer it if they wouldn't want to use the keyboard. Quicksilver is faster in getting things done and launched, imo.

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I used to use QuickSilver, but a while back it started crashing on an (ir)regular basis, and once I tried LaunchBar (which I got in the MacHeist II bundle/referral(?)) I liked it. And after I found the "hack" to get rid of the Dock icon on LaunchBar I never looked back. :)