Launcher

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Phillie14586, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Phillie14586 macrumors member

I use my MacPro as a DVR so I have my TV connected as an extended desktop, not mirrored. I use my iPad as a remote for XBMC which I use to stream the video to the TV. I am looking for a way to launch XBMC on my MacPro from the iPad. I tried Splashtop with limited success. With Splashtop the resolution of the main monitor changes to match the resolution of the iPad. I can then launch XBMC and it shows up on my TV. I then need to disconnect from Splashtop to use the remote app. When I do this the resolution of the main monitor changes back to its native resolution and now XBMC is half on the main monitor and half on the second monitor while in full screen mode. Does anyone know of a way to launch an app, particularly XBMC, on my MacPro with my iPad without changing the resolution of the monitors?

2. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

I dont know if im reading this wrong, but im going to give it a shot.

I have a similar set up on my TV. Macbook plugged in to TV.

I dont know if your streaming FROM your ipad to the TV or just using it as a remote..
    but i use an app called "rowmote" it downloads on your computer and your ipad..and it lets you use your ipad as a wireless mouse and keyboard. All you have to do is be on the same WiFi network. it doesnt have any lag and it is Very close to having a wireless trackpad and keyboard on your couch.

I think it is better than have just a remote app that launches stuff.
    It really turns my TV into a huge computer.
    Good luck man.

3. Phillie14586 thread starter macrumors member

Here is some things I found last night. My main purpose here is to use the iPad as a remote for XBMC. I have a remote app that works well for this purpose. Now what I want is to be able to launch XBMC when sitting in front of the TV with the computer in the other room. I have the free version of air mouse which works well as a wireless touchpad but you need to see the main desktop to be able to launch an app. So I found an old freeware app called freehotkeys. With this I can setup a hotkey sequence to launch any app directly in the applications folder. This works but is not elegant. I noticed the paid version of air mouse shows the dock and has some remotes built in. I might give that a try.

I was just looking at rowmote. Does it allow me to launch the app without navigating the desktop? If it does this might be even better.

4. rshanahan macrumors regular

Yes. I've been using it for years w/my ipod to control my mac mini media computer. It has a menu of a lot of apps that it will 'launch' and control. I mainly use it for Plex. It does support xbmc. It works with the ipad also. Now you'll have to quit it via your other app or using keys on romote, but it will launch it.

5. Phillie14586 thread starter macrumors member

Well I bought RowmotePro since it would be a nice elegant solution. It launches the app nicely but the remote leaves a lot to be desired. I have been using XBMC remote which is free and is more intuitive to use and works better.