Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lambdavu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
is there a way to create a dock button that executes an application which i normally start from terminal? i have installed some applications which do have a grafic interface, but i would like to be able to start them without having use Terminal.app every single time. the ideal would be a dock button, i tried using (i think, i can't really remember too well) Automator to make an app which executed a script which started the desired application, but it complained about some "non-zero exit status" every time i quitted and it really seemed quite a convoluted solution for something that looked simple.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. Why would you want to go through all that, when you could simply launch the app from its own icon on the Dock?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Show the actual commands you normally use in Terminal to start these graphical apps. Identify the specific applications. Also briefly summarize why it's necessary to start these using a command-line, rather than simply double-clicking the graphical app itself.

Show the commands you put into Automator that produced the "non-zero exit status" message.

You're basically asking a programming question. That means we need to see your program, the actual commands, not just a somewhat vague description. We can't run, test, or debug descriptions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.