Launching/Accessing Applications in Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jsgreen, Dec 6, 2007.

1. jsgreen macrumors 6502

Noob here...

How do you set up applications to be handily accessible if they are not on the Dock?

Is there a way of putting the Applications folder on the dock so that it opens (stacks?) when you hover or click on it? Or is their a better way?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The Applications folder IS in the Dock by default, as a stack. You can also use Spotlight as a quick application launcher - just summon it, type the name of the app, and hit return.

3. sreedy macrumors 6502a

That's exactly what I do. cmd-space to open spotlight and type f i r hit enter and Firefox is open!

4. unity macrumors 6502a

Same here with Spotlight. Now that is FAST I use is as an app/document launcher a lot.

The other thing you can do is place them in the Finder window side-bar. But if there they are just as easy to get to as the dock so it may not work for you if you avoiding the dock.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The Applications folder is not in the Dock by default as a Stack. The downloads and documents folder are.

To the OP, it's much easier to go into the Macintosh HD and drag the Applications folder to the Dock in the Stack area and just launch your apps from there rather than typing into Spotlight. Sometimes people forget what programs they have installed. It's better to view them in the Stack or in the Finder with Coverflow.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Interesting... when I did a so-called "Clean Install" of Leopard, I got 3 stacks in my Dock: Applications, Downloads, and Documents. How did you install Leopard?

To the OP: If the Applications folder is NOT in your Dock, you can use HLdan's method, or press :apple:+Shift+A to open the Applications folder then drag the little icon at the top of the window to the Dock.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I always do the full erase, reformat and install using Disk Utility. I have 2 new iMacs (before Leopard) and my colleague has a Powerbook G4. Since I am the IT guy I did a Disk Utility reformat on all and only 2 Stacks appeared, documents and downloads.
    I have actually had to reformat a couple of times on my iMac because I wanted to get rid of Adobe's stuff and still got 2 stacks in the dock and no Applications stack.
    Also Apple's retail stores all have 2 stacks on their demos, docs and downloads.

8. feyn-man macrumors regular

I don't have the Applications folder in Dock by default. I got the machine with leopard pre-installed.

9. jsgreen thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the suggestions - I've dragged my Applications folder to the right side of the dock (I had been trying to put it on the right without success).

I appreciate the assistance, this is a great forum.