Launching an app at a specified time

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ericmjl, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ericmjl macrumors member

Hey guys,

I was wondering, is it possible to launch an app at a specified time (e.g. MTWThF at 9:30AM)?

I ask, because I'm work in a lab, and I'd like to have the app "LabAssistant" launch at 9:30AM every work day, so that I don't forget to use it. Even though it's in my dock, it's not in my habits to launch it every day the way I launch Excel and Word.

Cheers,
    Eric

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Why not just have the app automatically launch every time you start your mac?

See user accounts in System preferences. (Login Items)

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You can do this with a little bit of AppleScriptery, and using iCal as the scheduler.

Here's the script code I use for this:
    Code:
    tell application "KoLmafia"
    	open
    end tell

...replacing KoLmafia with the name of the application to launch.

Then, just create an event in iCal, and set its alarm to Run Script. Choose the script you created in AppleScript Editor.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You could also use cron to setup the startup. Below would open TextEdit at 9:30am M-F.
    Code:
    30 9 * * 1-5  /Applications/TextEdit.app/Contents/MacOS/TextEdit &
    To use cron:
    Code:
    EDITOR=nano
    export EDITOR
    crontab -e
    This will open a text editing app within Terminal called nano. Once you're done typing in the above command hit control+x and it will ask if you want to save, hit y then enter and it should bring you back to the Terminal prompt and you'll be all set.

5. elistan macrumors 6502a

What about an iCal entry with an alarm configured to open a file zero minutes before the entry. And the file to open is simply the app you need.