Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I found this Launchpad alternative for PPC: http://www.bergdesign.com/bevy/
It's $9.99 to buy and unlock features, but you can download the free version there too. I found another great alternative that looks a lot better (like Maverick's version of Launchpad), but it will not work on PPC Leopard for some reason. Even though it was written for PPC/Intel, I get a bus error when launching it on my log. If anyone knows of a Launchpad alternative for PPC that looks like Maverick's, let me know!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    895.3 KB · Views: 1,083

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I've never used Launchpad in my life, even with the gestures on my MacBook. When you've got a dock with 20+ apps in, and even every application installed just a click away in a stack, I really can't get my head around why/how people utilise it efficiently.

I'm not a fan of the whole Dashboard/Mission Control integration either. Wish they'd left Expose as it was on Snow Leopard.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Never seen the point in launchpad.

Launching apps that you use sometimes, but not often enough to keep in the dock. Before launchpad, OS X always seemed to lack an elegant way to launch an app not in your dock (spotlight aside). Launching them by opening your Hard Drive, then navigating to the Applications folder and scrolling always felt strange. You'd never see a Windows user navigating the Program Files folder to launch an app.

----------

-Snip-

I'm not a fan of the whole Dashboard/Mission Control integration either. Wish they'd left Expose as it was on Snow Leopard.

This, I agree with. I have no use for dashboard at all, and don't need to see any mention of it when I'm trying to multitask. I wish there was a way to bring back the old leopard "Show All" expose where it was just everything open at a glance.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Launching apps that you use sometimes, but not often enough to keep in the dock. Before launchpad, OS X always seemed to lack an elegant way to launch an app not in your dock (spotlight aside). Launching them by opening your Hard Drive, then navigating to the Applications folder and scrolling always felt strange. You'd never see a Windows user navigating the Program Files folder to launch an app.

What is exactly wrong with the Application folder or using Stacks? Both near as dammit identical to launchpad except the apps were in alphabetical order.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
What is exactly wrong with the Application folder or using Stacks? Both near as dammit identical to launchpad except the apps were in alphabetical order.

Applications folder requires minimizing all your apps to get to the desktop, opening the HD, opening Applications, and then finding your app in a folder that may or may not be sorted.

Stacks are easy enough to get to, but doesn't present you with as many icons and isn't searchable.

Launchpad is a swipe or hot corner away, is searchable, gives you a full overlook of everything (regardless if its in the Applications folder or not), and a lot more aesthetically appealing than a stack.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002

Nothing is wrong with those methods. That's why they are still around. However, I've found LaunchPad to be quicker than either. It's always a swipe away no matter where I am in the system, I don't have to mouse over anything, and every app is immediately available by typing the first few characters of it's name.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Applications folder requires minimizing all your apps to get to the desktop, opening the HD, opening Applications, and then finding your app in a folder that may or may not be sorted.

Nonsense. Pin the apps folder to your dock and it is 1 click away. Organise your apps within the folder how you wish (the whole reason behind having self-contained apps you can freely move). Just like launchpad. Throughout all my time using OS X and not using launchpad, I have never found it hard.

Launchpad does nothing but fragment the way applications can be managed in OS X. It was added for the benefit of iOS users so there is some familiarity between OS X and iOS. But overall, not really needed one bit.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Launchpad does nothing but fragment the way applications can be managed in OS X. It was added for the benefit of iOS users so there is some familiarity between OS X and iOS. But overall, not really needed one bit.

I don't think Apple ever stated that LaunchPad was added for iOS users. I've been a Mac user since 1985 and an iPhone user since 2007. I don't see any connection between LaunchPad and iOS other than the grid layout. Instead, I find LaunchPad to be a quicker way of Launching apps on the Mac while keeping a clean dock.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I don't think Apple ever stated that LaunchPad was added for iOS users.

They may have not literally said it, but I think the fact that they stated OS X Lion would bring iOS features to OS X (which it did), it is clear Apple were attempting to make their PCs more appealing to their mobile user base.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Nonsense. Pin the apps folder to your dock and it is 1 click away. Organise your apps within the folder how you wish (the whole reason behind having self-contained apps you can freely move). Just like launchpad. Throughout all my time using OS X and not using launchpad, I have never found it hard.

Why would I set something up to be just like launchpad rather than just use launchpad. You've said a few times you haven't given it a chance. Maybe you should. Or don't. The thread was asking for ways to get the feature on older OSes, not to argue whether he needed it or not.

Too often I see people challenging someone whether or not they need a specific feature, rather than just helping them get what they want.

Also, having some commonality with iOS isn't necessarily a bad thing if it works great, and is mouse/keyboard friendly (which it is, compared to Metro). Apple realized they had overlooked a way to see every app on your Mac regardless of it's location, and filled the void. Don't like it, don't use it. Don't tell me the rest of the world doesn't need it though, or that it's useless. I see it as a waaay better version of a start menu. In your mind it's a dumbing down of the OS. Use it and you'll realize you're wrong. Or like I said, don't.

OP: I don't believe there is another solution. The only one I'm aware of is MacLaunchpad and it's oddly intel only. I really hope a developer out there whips something up though for PPC users.

----------

They may have not literally said it, but I think the fact that they stated OS X Lion would bring iOS features to OS X (which it did), it is clear Apple were attempting to make their PCs more appealing to their mobile user base.

Apple also put us at ease by saying they have no intention of going overboard with this like MS did with Windows 8. I do have to say though that I was previously worried about the iOSification of OS X, especially being required to work with Windows 8 a lot, but I do believe Apple will only throw things in where they belong (like launchpad).

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Why would I set something up to be just like launchpad rather than just use launchpad. You've said a few times you haven't given it a chance.
I have actually. Gave it a chance when Lion was released. But yes, I don't have to use it. Was simply expressing my opinion.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I have actually. Gave it a chance when Lion was released. But yes, I don't have to use it. Was simply expressing my opinion.

Lion LaunchPad didn't let you type to select. That was added with Mountain Lion and was a huge improvement, in my opinion.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Lion LaunchPad didn't let you type to select. That was added with Mountain Lion and was a huge improvement, in my opinion.

+1. Without the search added to it, I wouldn't use it nearly as much. I actually went from Snow Leopard straight to Mountain Lion so I've never used the Lion version.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013

----------

This, I agree with. I have no use for dashboard at all, and don't need to see any mention of it when I'm trying to multitask. I wish there was a way to bring back the old leopard "Show All" expose where it was just everything open at a glance.

command + n ,applications and type name, done.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
command + n ,applications and type name, done.

If you're on the desktop. If I want to switch to another app, launchpad is a hell of a lot more convenient than minimizing everything.

LaunchPad set to a hot corner is infinitely useful. If you have ML you should really give it another try.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
If you're on the desktop. If I want to switch to another app, launchpad is a hell of a lot more convenient than minimizing everything.

LaunchPad set to a hot corner is infinitely useful. If you have ML you should really give it another try.

Agreed!

vlark

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2014
I use Overflow 2.5.7, which is the last version for PowerPC. Here's a link:

http://stuntsoftware.com/downloads/overflow_2.5.7.zip

Make sure you uncheck the auto-update box in the preferences, as it'll download and install an Intel-only version.

It's $14.95 to register. I got it free as a reward in one of the MacHeist contests back in 2008 or 2009 and have been using it ever since.

Oh, and by the way: hi! I'm new to the forum. Avid PPC user here, with a Grape iMac G3, 2005 iMac G5 ALS, 2004 G4 TiBook, and my main machine, a G4 Gigabit Ethernet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.