Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Among many others, I have two particular issues in Catalina that seem to persist across multiple machines.

1. Launchpad seems hell bent on taking some of the apps in the "Other" folder (mostly things in /Applications/Utilities/) and just dumping them out into the rest of the Launchpad home screens. This seems to happen most frequently when updating currently installed apps and/or installing new ones. Luckily, I have the terminal command to reset Launchpad and the dock handy. But this is still annoying.

2. The Mac App Store does not check for app updates in a timely fashion in Catalina the way it did in Mojave. If I go manually searching for apps that I know received updates, I can manually click the "Update" button to initiate an update. But this would seem to largely defeat the whole point of "Automatic App Updates". And when I say that Catalina doesn't check in a "timely fashion", I mean that it also doesn't list apps under "About to be Automatically Updated" either. It's like Apple decided to really mess with the Mac App Store under the hood (beyond simply giving it a different icon than what was in Mojave and High Sierra).

Does anyone else have these issues or insight as to what's going on? My installation of Catalina is a clean one (i.e. I didn't upgrade from any previous system) and it's installed on the MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) listed in my signature (though I have had these issues on some 12" Retina MacBooks as well).

When Big Sur comes out, I'm wiping my drive, installing Big Sur on most of it and leaving a Mojave installation to dual-boot with (for 32-bit apps) and I'm not looking back on Catalina. Such a needlessly glitchy release.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Among many others, I have two particular issues in Catalina that seem to persist across multiple machines.

1. Launchpad seems hell bent on taking some of the apps in the "Other" folder (mostly things in /Applications/Utilities/) and just dumping them out into the rest of the Launchpad home screens. This seems to happen most frequently when updating currently installed apps and/or installing new ones. Luckily, I have the terminal command to reset Launchpad and the dock handy. But this is still annoying.

2. The Mac App Store does not check for app updates in a timely fashion in Catalina the way it did in Mojave. If I go manually searching for apps that I know received updates, I can manually click the "Update" button to initiate an update. But this would seem to largely defeat the whole point of "Automatic App Updates". And when I say that Catalina doesn't check in a "timely fashion", I mean that it also doesn't list apps under "About to be Automatically Updated" either. It's like Apple decided to really mess with the Mac App Store under the hood (beyond simply giving it a different icon than what was in Mojave and High Sierra).

Does anyone else have these issues or insight as to what's going on? My installation of Catalina is a clean one (i.e. I didn't upgrade from any previous system) and it's installed on the MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) listed in my signature (though I have had these issues on some 12" Retina MacBooks as well).

When Big Sur comes out, I'm wiping my drive, installing Big Sur on most of it and leaving a Mojave installation to dual-boot with (for 32-bit apps) and I'm not looking back on Catalina. Such a needlessly glitchy release.

I actually discovered that the Mac App Store updates check is delayed on Big Sur too. It's not that it fails to do the checks that it did in Mojave (and earlier); just more that it delays doing them and even once it sees the apps that need updating, it lists them as "About to be automatically updated". I suppose for important apps where you don't want to risk bugs and/or maybe defer updates, that's a nice failsafe. But I, as the user, should be able to control the delay period.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.