Launchpad/Noob to OSX

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DannyDrama, Oct 21, 2013.

1. DannyDrama macrumors regular

Some apps install to the first page of Launchpad and some to the second page. Not a huge deal since I use the cleaner for it but can anyone shed light on this chaos for me? No alphabetical sorting makes me want to cry a little. :eek:

Thanks.

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

LunchPad is just there to make iOS newcomers more comfortable when transitioning to the mac. You'll just have to drag your apps around until they sort to your liking.

You could also just put the Applications folder in your dock. They'll sort a number of different ways there.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Do it like the rest of us; ignore that Launchpad even exists.
    Throw it off the dock and never look back. It is really just a feature for former ipad users that come to Mac. You don't need it. Spotlight or Alfred (nicer GUI with added feature based on spotlight) for launching apps is better and fit the always in use ones into the dock.
    The Application folder on the dock is alphabetical that is all you will ever need. Launchpad just slows you down. You are noob if you use it at all not a Launpad-Noob.

4. MeUnix macrumors 6502

As others have said, forget the Launchpad exists and just use the Applications folder for your apps. Launchpad is a headache because there is no sorting method.

5. DannyDrama thread starter macrumors regular

That's me then.:eek: Though I still have my iPad for now.

So I can throw all my apps into the Apps folder and Stack it on the dock? Makes things hell of a lot easier!

Edit: Seems I'm only just seeing how versatile this dock thing is. Now if I could just make it enter a period when I double tap space...

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Your apps should be in the Applications folder anyway.
    It is the same folder as in the finder just displayed differently. You can also switch it to either grid or list. I find list to be the most useful for a normal - big sized Application folder. Grid works too if you like big icons. Fan is only eye candy that doesn't work past 8-10 items.

Really for the most part if you need an App, that you don't have in the dock because you don't use it all the time, just use spotlight (or Alfred).
    You hit CMD+Space and type 'ip' and hit enter and it will open iphoto. Once you get that, you start to feel sorry for people who need three clicks with eagle eye search system to open some app.
    The Application folder is for when you know you had an app that could do something but you use it so rarely, you don't even know its name, or you are a horrible typist. The typist part can be fixed and should be in our computer centric world asap.

7. Sgtarky macrumors regular

I'm a fairly new macos x user, I started at lion. I never used an iphone. I love Launchpad. I keep very little on my dock, I don't even have the Launchpad on it. :p