Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
is anyone experiencing launchpad freeze or get stuck in the middle of page swiping? in my case i don't mean freeze where it hangs, but when swiping between pages sometimes it stops as if i didn't finish the gesture.

i don't know if this is a sign of me using it on an external HDD or if its a genuine mavericks bug.

it doesn't seem to happen when using my magic mouse. only the trackpads (magic trackpad and macbook trackpad)

josh.b

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
I get this too but only when I use three fingers. If I use two finger swipe it is fine. I did notice it as soon as I installed GM1 because I always used to swipe with three fingers in ML for some reason.

However I don't think this is a bug. When you have 3 finger drag ticked in the preferences for trackpad it allows you to move something lift your hand and move again before it commits to that spot. I think you get about 1.5 seconds to put your hand down again else it places it to that spot. It seems that rule is now applied inside of launchpad where it wasn't before. Perhaps it was a bug in ML that was never corrected? lol anyway, just use two fingers to scroll across in LP

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I get this too but only when I use three fingers. If I use two finger swipe it is fine. I did notice it as soon as I installed GM1 because I always used to swipe with three fingers in ML for some reason.

However I don't think this is a bug. When you have 3 finger drag ticked in the preferences for trackpad it allows you to move something lift your hand and move again before it commits to that spot. I think you get about 1.5 seconds to put your hand down again else it places it to that spot. It seems that rule is now applied inside of launchpad where it wasn't before. Perhaps it was a bug in ML that was never corrected? lol anyway, just use two fingers to scroll across in LP

i only use two fingers for swiping, so clearly this isn't the issue. and i'm not alone

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
I noticed this straightaway too. Called AppleCare and also submitted a bug report with screencap vid. Bugs are inevitable with the initial release, it'll get worked out.

joewillmott

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
England
Mine was getting stuck for a while... but now this:

Screen_Shot_2013_10_24_at_13_33_20.png

josh.b

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
I upgraded my dad's macbook pro and the icons in finder windows were missing. Figured I would just just do a clean install because it would take less time than working out the issue. Clean install and everything is fine.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Am getting the same issue. It doesn't complete the animation/swipe fully - it stops whenever your finger is taken off the trackpad when swiping instead of completing the swipe fully. Quite annoying, but hopefully they address this issue in the next update. :(

Screen_Shot_2013_10_27_at_13_40_25.png

Shiphranita

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
Ghost Launchpad

I have a somewhat similar problem. I launched the Launchpad with a four finger pinch, but the icons only came in ghosted. Then I could click on nothing, not even the Apple to restart. I had to hold down the power button to shut it down, and then restart. Photo below, I only did a screenshot of half the screen, the other half had stuff I didn't want shown publicly, but I couldn't click on it to shut it down. The restart worked, and I can launch the Launchpad the same, but somehow it got stuck half in/half out.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 12.19.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-30 at 12.19.36 PM.png
    688.5 KB · Views: 462

fthnm2015

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
Maryland, USA

Thanks for the tip, Josh! I am also getting this freezing effect when swiping between launchpad applications, only when swiping with three fingers, as I always used to do. As soon as I saw your comment, I tried with two fingers and it is absolutely fine, so this solves my problem, I guess. By the way, I am using a 13" MacBook Pro, 256GB SSD, late 2013 version. Running the Yosemite latest update (as of Jan 31, 2015).

Seb's MacBook

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2017
India
is anyone experiencing launchpad freeze or get stuck in the middle of page swiping? in my case i don't mean freeze where it hangs, but when swiping between pages sometimes it stops as if i didn't finish the gesture.

i don't know if this is a sign of me using it on an external HDD or if its a genuine mavericks bug.

it doesn't seem to happen when using my magic mouse. only the trackpads (magic trackpad and macbook trackpad)
[doublepost=1508852261][/doublepost]same problem here. But i noticed that it works fine with two fingers and three fingers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.