Launchpad Preferential Treatment?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Nuckinfuts, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

Anyone else notice that all Apple applications that get install (iLife n' such) get defaulted to the first page of Launchpad, where as Chrome/Adobe CS5/MS Office, get defaulted to the second page even if the first one isn't full

Those Sly dogs

2. Dany M macrumors 6502

I don't know why I would use launch pad over the applications folder in the dock I have or using spotlight. Honestly...is it JUST to iOS apps?

3. Nuckinfuts thread starter macrumors 6502

It works well for keeping a select list of apps to see, whereas the applications folder on the dock has Everything.

4. Miloh macrumors newbie

I've found it useful to find that app i don't use often enough to warrant a spot on the dock.

Even then Spotlight is quicker on the draw. But Launchpad's utility is aimed more toward the average joe user.

5. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

When I'm rambling around the internet I don't usually have my hands on the keyboard, so then launchpad is quicker.

6. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I find LaunchPad needs a lot of tweaking before I will use it. It shows every little App in the Application Folder including Uninstaller's for CS5. There should be a way to hide an Application if you want. There seems to be no customization at all.

7. Nuckinfuts thread starter macrumors 6502

I totally agree, A LaunchPad Manager would be a godsend. It would also be nice if it just use the finder layout for first user like the Applications Stack did for like the directories n' such

8. lomby macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't see the problem with the preferential layout in launchpad considering you are running an apple computer. U can even change them around if u like :)

9. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

There's some customization. I dragged all of my unwanted icons onto each other to create folders. I named the folders things like "Adobe other" "uninstallers" "Rarely Used", and then dragged them to the end of the folders list.

10. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

On a 27" iMac it is a lot of dragging around on the screen to get everything situated though. I don't see LaunchPad on a big iMac or Mac Pro with 30" being very useful.

11. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

From what I've read, you used to be able to remove apps from Launchpad, but they removed that capability for some reason (in DP4 if I remember correctly).

12. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I don't think that removing icons was a feature. Rather, it was a glitch. As I recall, the protocol for removing an icon was somewhat cryptic. If it was, in fact, a built in feature, then it was poorly implemented.