Laundry list of questions regarding my new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blurb23, Oct 21, 2008.

1. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

OK, so I went out and bought a new base model "GlassBook" as some have been calling it. It's only my second Mac, and it's my first "real" laptop (I've had other PCs, but I was much younger and generally stupid-er with them).

1) Heat: Yes, I know this has probably been discussed over and over, time and time again, but I'm still unsure of the definitive answer. I know that the older MBPs used their aluminum cases as a heat sink; is this still true with the new Unibody MBPs? Also, my temps skyrocketed to 150 degrees (F) while watching a YouTube video, and then back down to about 125 once I closed that window. Yet, my fans still stayed at the same 2000 RPMs. Is that normal?

2) How important is calibrating your battery? When I first got the MBP and charged it up, CoconutBattery reported my max charge at around 4750 mAh. Now after about 4 cycles, it's at 4064 (max) and my health is still at 100%. Is this a result of not calibrating it? Is that a must do?

3) Approximately how many cycles will I get before I start to lose health? Yes, I know that losing health isn't a bad thing and is inevitable, I'm just curious :p

4) I was using an Aluminum iMac prior to this MBP. In my dorm room, I'd pick up a weak WiFi connection to my school's network, but I never used that. Now with my MBP, I'd like to sit on my bed rather than be wired to my desk. I can still pick up that network and apparently connect to it, but neither FireFox nor Adium can get a connection. And when I go to disconnect, it says that I'm connected to a "device", whatever that means.

Any help with that one?

5) Is there any way to reduce or eliminate the static that I get when I have external speakers hooked up through the headphone jack, but nothing playing?

6) My friend has the base model 17" Penryn MBP. Ignoring the differences in screen size and the matte vs glossy debate, which of our computers would be better for video editting, gaming, and other "intensive" tasks?

7) Apple's still busy patting itself on the back over the whole "UniBody" deal, and the press is making a big hooplah about it. Granted, it's a nice new manufacturing process and it does make for some clean looking notebooks, but what does it mean to us, the end user? Is there actually some benefit? Or is it just that we have smoother curves and less screws?
    Thanks for the help guys.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, quite normal. CPU and GPU temps can reach 180F or more and still be within normal operating range.
    Apple recommends calibrating at least once a month.
    Your battery health will vary from time to time. It could be 99% one day, 84% another, then back up to 96% on another. No need for concern unless it drops very low and stays there, even after calibrating.
    Could be interference from other wireless devices in the area.
    Again, this sounds like interference from nearby devices. I've heard static on speakers when a cell phone is nearby, for example.
    As I'm not a gamer, I can't help you with this one.

3. blurb23 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aha, see, I thought that battery health was a constantly degrading percentage. I didn't know it bounced around.

Thanks.

4. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

6) Well.. you've got better graphics performance. So you'll probably outperform the 17 in GPU intensive stuffs like GPU-accelerated applications (ie. PS CS4) and games. The new processor is quite similar to the old one, running a bit cooler though. Over all your MBP will outperform his.

7) If you take your friends Macbook Pro and lift it in one corner with one hand, you'll feel that it's not feeling as stable as yours. The main thing you'll get as an end user is pure build quality. The new unibody machines is a lot sturdier than the old MBP's. Your lid will stay in shape and will most likely not get bent as many of the old MBPs. Just compare them and you'll see. =)

Check out this page: http://www.appleinsider.com/article...unboxing_photos_late_2008_15_macbook_pro.html and you'll see how much more detailed and better built the new MBP is. Just look at the speaker grills! =)

5. consumedsoul macrumors regular

Battery calibration

Forgive my ignorance, but how exactly do you 'calibrate' the battery? Is there special Apple or 3rd party software to handle?

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

by googleing "Calibrating macbook battery"

and looky what the first thing that comes up is;)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490

7. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Well, the lid is not part of the "unibody" construction. That's just the lower half. So the lid is no stronger than it was before. In fact, the metal part is actually thinner and weaker, hence the need for glass, which gains back some rigidity.