lav microphones for weddings

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macdvuser, Jul 17, 2008.

1. macdvuser macrumors newbie

I have read that for weddings it is best to put a lav mic on the groom and use a shotgun for back up.
    My question is that if the bride has a quieter voice than the groom, surely if the lav is on the groom, the audio would have a really loud groom and a really quiet bride. The registrar would also be an issue, depending on their voice and the distance they are from the groom.(Bearing in mind I will only have one lav mic)
    Would using a hypercardioid microphone like a rode nt3 on a boom stand placed near the bride, groom and registrar be a good idea.( or would another set up be advised)
    Help is very much appreciated!

2. prestonkd macrumors member

prestonkd

The one lav mic on the groom will do fine. Mine picks up well enough that you can't tell which one of them is wearing it. It could be the built in gain control on my PD-150 that helps do that. Either way - using a mic on a boom stand at a wedding? A very bad idea and most churches (or brides for that matter) would not let you use it. Get a good wireless lav mic and you will be fine. You will want to have the camera mount shotgun as well and mix the two in editing.

3. seany916 macrumors 6502

Don't put it on the groom's chest.
    We place it around the belly button of the groom, thus creating an almost equal distance between the groom, bride, and officiant from the mic.

Also consider a shotgun attached to a wireless transmitter. We like to run long XLR cables around the back (not visible) and hook directly into the camera instead of wireless. Don't like the sound when the shotguns are capturing with the guests between the camera and the couple.

4. macdvuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help.
    Would you recommend a cardioid lav mic or a omni directional lav mic?
    I am planning on buying a Sennheiser EW 100 ENG G2 wireless system which comes with the ME-2 (omni) microphone.

5. prestonkd macrumors member

prestonkd

I use the omni mic and am very pleased with the results.

That sennheiser unit would probably be fine. I looked at it but ended up going with the Audio-Technica system because it is a true diversity system with two independent receivers accepting the same signal - so less chance of a dropout. I bought this - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...a_ATW1813D_ATW_1813D_Wireless_Microphone.html . However, my church uses the sennheiser system with no problems.