Lavish roman villa unearthed in Wiltshire

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mobilehaathi, Apr 18, 2016.

1. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

What a fascinating find!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-36062538
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/18/w...rden-unparalleled-remains-of-roman-villa.html

2. Scepticalscribe, Apr 18, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Wonderful story.

Read that yesterday in the Guardian (and checked it out later on the BBC). Mind you, it never occurred to me to make a thread about it, so thank you for doing so.

Terrific story. Some of those parts of England & Wales are amazing: A few years ago, friends of mine brought me to Caerleon, to visit the only (fully excavated) Roman amphitheatre in the UK. It was spell binding, and wonderfully unexpected that far north under grey British skies.

Years earlier, when observing an election in Istria, in Croatia in January 2000, the municipal authorities in Pula very kindly opened the stunning amphitheatre - which dated from the time of the late Roman Republic, in other words, it predated Imperial Rome - for myself and my colleague (and our two local staff) when our travels brought us there. Extraordinary. We sat there for ages, and walked the sand of the arena. Two thousand years later, the sight lines were perfect and the acoustics extraordinary.

But that story is absolutely fascinating, and the quality of what still remains is superb. And it is something I find rather moving, too, in a way.

3. mobilehaathi thread starter macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I hope it continues to receive some attention, as I'd love to hear about what they discover and infer about the place. It'd be a shame to have to wait years and have to scour archeology journals just to read more!

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Oh, yes. You can rest assured that it will.

Indeed, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see one of those wonderful BBC documentaries broadcast in a year or two, documenting and describing what has transpired in that Wiltshire farm, and following whatever discoveries have been unearthed in a meticulous chronological and historical format.

5. mobilehaathi thread starter macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

That would be brilliant.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, given the extraordinary, quite gripping, and utterly absorbing documentary that was made about the disinterring of the remains of Richard III in 2013 - which were found under a municipal car-park in Leicester, which itself had been built in the vicinity of - and over - the Greyfriars friary church that had stood on that site (where Richard presumably had been buried originally after the Battle of Bosworth) until the Reformation, when it had been demolished and destroyed - and the interest that this story is bound to generate, I would be astonished if a good documentary was not made to explain and explore this matter further.

7. mobilehaathi thread starter macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Oh, yes I remember when Richard III was found. Hmm, I should check out that documentary.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I found it extraordinarily interesting; the ceremonial reburial (of Richard III) which occurred last year was also absolutely fascinating, and, quite rightly, was transmitted live on the BBC. I watched it with keen interest.

9. sim667 macrumors 65816

There's a whole wealth of archeology programs created by the BBC...

There used to be a regular show called time team which I loved as a young teen.

10. mobilehaathi thread starter macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Yes, I think I'm going to have to spend some time looking these things up!

11. JackRoch macrumors member

Time Team was a Channel 4 production. You may be able to view it here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/time-team

12. sim667 macrumors 65816

You're right, it was.

Staple of my young teen years that was....... Although I wish Tony Robinson had presented it in the character of Baldrick.

13. anotherscotsman macrumors 65816

I watched Time Team for decades - Channel 4. Unfortunately went downhill towards the end but a great example of low-budget but very educational and entertaining TV.