Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
Originally posted by ddtlm
pseudobrit:

Do you think they announced that they were going to tear down the statue at such-and-such time, or something? Oh, but now that I see this is pseudobrit posting, I'm not surprised. First it's anti-war, then anti-cops in that one thread I remember, and now you insist on believing that the Iraqis are not actually happy. Now, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'd be more impressed if your opinion appeared to change with the situation.

I'm not saying anything. I'm just stepping back and taking a skeptical view of things and not accepting everything that's spoon-fed to the public at face value.

I'm sorry to see you think I should.

toontra

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
pseudorbit

Apologies - a copied the wrong text to quote; I've corrected my original post, with the correct quote from ddtlm.
:)

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
caveman_uk:

Whilst pseudobrit has been a bit antagonistic at times - playing devils advocate - he has been quite consistent.
Consistientcy is nice, perhaps, but ability to change opinions is better.

toontra:

I presume that you yourself will keep a flexible opinion as news reaches you.
Quite flexable. I've wavered a fair amount about the war being right or wrong. I've been clued to news pages, I've read about and understood the casuaty figures.

pseudobrit:

I'm not saying anything.
I have yet to read you post anything that doesn't attack the goverment's position on the war, on protest control, and now on the aftermath of the war. You'll probably be posting complaints as a new government is set up in Iraq. I seriously doubt that you are ever going to say anything positive about it at all, no matter what. You are coming accross as an inverted version of "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".

I'm just stepping back and taking a skeptical view of things and not accepting everything that's spoon-fed to the public at face value.
You've surpased sceptisism long ago. Now it seems you only exist to find faults.

I'm sorry to see you think I should.
You try to hide behind "thinking for yourself" when all you do is post a zoomed out picture and post your thought-deprived "low turnout implies noone cares" comment. Think for yourself about reasons why people might not be out. They may fear looters, they may fear the Americains, they may fear being killed by loyalists, and they may not have even known it was happening, not to mention that even getting around in a city that size has got to be difficult and dangerous. It is probably the case that a smallish chunk of Iraqi civilians liked Saddam, a largish chunk probably hated him but doesn't trust the USofA either. In my view, a turnout of a only few hundred is far from a sign that Iraqis would rather have Saddam.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by pseudobrit
I'm [snip] not accepting everything that's spoon-fed to the public at face value.

how very unamerican of you. i sentence you to three days of shopping.

come back once you've maxed out your credit cards.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto

Think for yourself about reasons why people might not be out. They may fear looters, they may fear the Americains, they may fear being killed by loyalists, and they may not have even known it was happening, not to mention that even getting around in a city that size has got to be difficult and dangerous.

regardless of why people may have stayed away, do you agree the US TV media made the crowd seem much bigger than it actually was?

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
I have yet to read you post anything that doesn't attack the goverment's position on the war, on protest control, and now on the aftermath of the war. You'll probably be posting complaints as a new government is set up in Iraq. I seriously doubt that you are ever going to say anything positive about it at all, no matter what. You are coming accross as an inverted version of "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".

You've surpased sceptisism long ago. Now it seems you only exist to find faults.

Skepticism IS finding faults, that's the bloody definition of the goddamned word!

Sheesh!
___

Well, as I see things right now, the world is going to s__. So, yeah, I might fail to see the finer points of life.

It's like going to the car wash right before you drive into a semi -- at least it looked clean and was vacuumed out before it hit. I'm sorry if I don't care about how good the wax job is.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
pseudobrit:

Skepticism IS finding faults, that's the bloody definition of the goddamned word!
Interestingly, dictionary.com seems to think it is "A doubting or questioning attitude or state of mind". I would place your state of mind in the "negative, agressive, hostile" area.

zimv20:

regardless of why people may have stayed away, do you agree the US TV media made the crowd seem much bigger than it actually was?
Well, I don't watch TV so I don't know how they made it look there. :) I did envision a larger volume of people from reading, however.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto

Well, I don't watch TV so I don't know how they made it look there. :) I did envision a larger volume of people from reading, however.

i try not to watch much TV either, but i did see several news outlets broadcast the event.

all the crowd frames were pretty close up. the shot of the statue as it was falling was shot from ground level and the camera was tilted up (it was a big statue), so there was no crowd shown there.

the shots of it hitting the ground (and almost killing some people) were pretty close. there was a marine in the immediate foreground holding someone back, then a close up of several people hitting the statue once it was on the ground (camera tilted down).

one fairly close shot had its frame full of people; that's the one that made me think there were thousands of people there.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
zimv20:

Yeah, that sounds like what the media would do. Action, people, excitement. The media would avoid showing the true size of the croud to save people from having to ask questions like "why so few?" even if it could be explained away. Another reason not to watch TV news.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
peterjhill:

What I'd like to see is a media outlet that mixed in stories like that with storied about people that didn't get their families messed up, mixed in with stories about people that are happy. I want a big picture. With 5 million or so people in the city, that story may very well be one in one thousand.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
peterjhill:

What I'd like to see is a media outlet that mixed in stories like that with storied about people that didn't get their families messed up, mixed in with stories about people that are happy. I want a big picture. With 5 million or so people in the city, that story may very well be one in one thousand.

Or maybe that story doesn't exist, or isn't relevant.

"and in other news, nothing happened to samir today. Samir? tell us how your day went..."

Unfortunately, in our media, we're aren't seeing the stories of people's lives messed up at all because they're too busy having an orgasm on-air over the statue falling. That's which way the slant's headed.

So in other words, what you'd "like to see" is actually being portrayed. You got your wish.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
pseudobrit:

Overly negative and confrontational posts are not the best way to conduct a conversation. I can't speak for everyone, but peterjhill and zimv20 have a converstional style that works much better for me.

Edit: added "overly".

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
pseudobrit:

Overly negative and confrontational posts are not the best way to conduct a conversation. I can't speak for everyone, but peterjhill and zimv20 have a converstional style that works much better for me.

Edit: added "overly".

Not sure how I was being confrontational. :confused:

When I'm being nasty, I usually know...

I'm just being glib.

ddtlm

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2001
pseudobrit:

Well, some parts of communication are always imprecise. Analog.

Back to your previous post then, I think that there would definately be value in just strolling around the city and asking lots of random people what they think. Get dozens of accounts, wrap it up in an hour-long special. I'd love it, but who knows if enough other people would.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.