Lay external hard drive on it's side?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jshelton, Feb 1, 2009.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

Can I keep my Western Digital My Book on it's side under my mStand, or does it have to sit upright on my desk?

Will it affect the hard drive at all?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All the data will fall to one side and you'll get lop-sided results from all calculations.

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Not to my knowledge, I have a WD MyBook as well, it makes no noticeable difference how it stands.

4. Smacky macrumors 6502

The orientation of the drive shouldnt affect its performance
    Think about how they are placed in desktops, flat and on teir sides, doesnt matter

5. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

you can also risk a puddle of data forming on your floor. And it is hard to get out of carpet... :p

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Snort! You guys! :D

Agree.

However, don't move the hard drive while in operation. Best to do it when everything is shut down.

7. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

If it actually mattered anyone who ever uses laptops on their lap, on planes etc is going to be a bit upset really right about now to know all the data on their computer was damaged. Oh wait...It wasn't.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Glad to hear! :D

Today's hard drives are much more durable and can handle much higher movement/impact rates. But they are not infallible. Always have a good backup plan. :)

10. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

It does not matter how the hard drive is placed, i would think that placing it upside down might effect it but i can not be sure about that.

If you go to Western digital's webpage you will see a few photos of their hard drives placed on there sides.

11. Wikinerd macrumors 6502

No, nothing physically damaging will happen.

<Regardless of Job's comment at the iMac G5 intro about how Optical Drives need to be slower if mounted vertically...>

12. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

HDDs do not care which way they are spinning. laying it on the side will be fine.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Since there has been some joking on the thread, I thought that I would reply directly to your original post.

Unless stated in the manufacturer's documentation, there is no problem nor should it affect performance by having a hard drive run in any orientation these days. As long as any cooling vents are not covered then no worries.

Just don't move the hard drive while it is on.

Oh, and be sure that you have a good backup strategy.

14. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

no issues, I used to have mine hanging diagonally out of my PC. Don't spill anything on it. :)