MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

MobileCrunch reports that Layar, one of the earliest and highest-profile augmented reality platforms for mobile devices, is in the process of adding 3D capabilities to its Android tools, opening the door for developers to offer new levels of immersive experiences.
With 3D, third-party developers can now tag real-life objects with three-dimensional text, place 3D objects on top of real-world space and create multi-sensory experiences. The general idea behind the addition of 3D capabilities to Layar is to encourage developers to create more realistic and immersive augmented reality browsing experiences for mobile devices.
Layar takes advantage of OpenGL, as well as the accelerometer, GPS, and digital compass available in compatible mobile phones, to allow developers to overlay text and graphics on video feeds from a device's camera. While currently available only for the Android platform, Layar notes that the technology is "coming soon" to the iPhone 3GS.

Article Link: 'Layar' Augmented Reality Platform to Gain 3D Capabilities

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Android is up and coming. Let's hope Apple does borrow a trick or two from them (they already did with tethering and AR!).

Comment

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Looks like non-3GS owners are screwed. I wonder if apple will allow such an app... Is the layar service available in US yet?

Layar notes that the technology is "coming soon" to the iPhone 3GS

Comment

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
I'm just waiting to see who will be the first to code the augmented reality equivalent of Doom where the iPhone (or other device) is the gun scope for your virtual gun that will be used to shoot players on another team.

I suppose this type of application will rely on the devices ability to accurately position a player who is shooting with another player who is being shot along, perhaps, with some image recognition to discern a hit.

Comment

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Yes and it is much smother than this. There is also an app for the London tube system which has AR.

This stuff on any platform is barely in its infancy. Devices and apps will be leapfrogging each other continually. Sit back and watch the show.

Comment

craighc

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
yelp

i use the monocle feature in yelp! and it performs very, very poorly. even after re-calibrating the compass, it still does a terrible job at placing information over the correct locations. that having been said, i look forward to the day that this technology becomes more powerful and much smoother.

Comment

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
This stuff on any platform is barely in its infancy. Devices and apps will be leapfrogging each other continually. Sit back and watch the show.

WHat a joke, I wouldn't want this if it ran so choppy, YELP is the alternative for now.

Comment

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

MobileCrunch reports that Layar, one of the earliest and highest-profile augmented reality platforms for mobile devices, is in the process of adding 3D capabilities to its Android tools, opening the door for developers to offer new levels of immersive experiences.Layar takes advantage of OpenGL, as well as the accelerometer, GPS, and digital compass available in compatible mobile phones, to allow developers to overlay text and graphics on video feeds from a device's camera. While currently available only for the Android platform, Layar notes that the technology is "coming soon" to the iPhone 3GS.

Article Link: 'Layar' Augmented Reality Platform to Gain 3D Capabilities

Or OpenGL takes advantage of the Android look how slow it runs.

Comment

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I'm really put off by some of the negative reaction here. Just because an emerging technology on a MOBILE PLATFORM isn't seamless yet, some of you would abandon it altogether. Definitely some stale minds.

For those of us who see potential and realize the world that this will ultimately create, this is exciting and inspiring.

Comment

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
There needs to be a set of shades you can wear and connect via the dock connector for a video feed coming to and from apps that use this type of reality application. Enough using the "peep-hole" method of looking at a cellphone screen. Immerse yourself.

Comment

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
And why do I have a need for this? I think it's much easier to look at a restaurant sign than to pull out a phone and like a dork surveying the area with a phone. Just because it's 'cool' does not mean it's useful.

Comment

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
wouldnt it be easier just to look at the freaking sign on the freaking building than to hold up your android phone and look like a total douche?

Comment

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
There needs to be a set of shades you can wear and connect via the dock connector for a video feed coming to and from apps that use this type of reality application. Enough using the "peep-hole" method of looking at a cellphone screen. Immerse yourself.

Or wear normal sunglasses and read a sign

Comment

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
And why do I have a need for this? I think it's much easier to look at a restaurant sign than to pull out a phone and like a dork survey the area with a phone. Just because it's 'cool' does not mean it's useful.

This is how I feel about a lot of augmented reality stuff that has been popping up as of late. Really cool technology, but I don't see a big need for it. It seems like most of the application is eye candy.

With that said, I came across an augmented reality showcase the other day that I think could be very useful in teaching someone to play pool:

Fast-forward to the 2:00 mark

How cool would it be to learn how to shoot with the aid of something like this? You could start getting a 'feel' for the game very quickly and then start playing on your own with the knowledge of shots built up. :cool:

P-Worm

Comment

Nicky G

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I'd love to see Google come out with an equivalent, or just buy Layar and develop it from there.

People who "don't get" what Augmented Reality will eventually be capable of are technologically blind.

This is very profound stuff.

Frankly, it represents nothing less than the merging of the Internet, and the "Real World". Someday people will wonder how we ever got by on our own senses, when we didn't have 500-bajillion layers of data intermeshed with everyone else most moments of the day.

Imagine being able to look at people, buildings, objects, retail items, places, plants, anything you can think of, and essentially knowing everything about it immediately. This is where we are heading, and it's only probably 10 years or so away.

Brace yourselves. And read the novel Rainbows End to get a better sense of what this will likely end up looking like.

Comment

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
I'm just waiting to see who will be the first to code the augmented reality equivalent of Doom where the iPhone (or other device) is the gun scope for your virtual gun that will be used to shoot players on another team.

I suppose this type of application will rely on the devices ability to accurately position a player who is shooting with another player who is being shot along, perhaps, with some image recognition to discern a hit.

I think that's called Paintball. ;)

Comment

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Then don't use it... ever thought of that?

And why do I have a need for this? I think it's much easier to look at a restaurant sign than to pull out a phone and like a dork surveying the area with a phone. Just because it's 'cool' does not mean it's useful.

Comment

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
I'd love to see Google come out with an equivalent, or just buy Layar and develop it from there.

People who "don't get" what Augmented Reality will eventually be capable of are technologically blind.

Frankly, it represents nothing less than the merging of the Internet, and the "Real World". Someday people will wonder how we ever got by on our own senses, when we didn't have 500-bajillion layers of data intermeshed with everyone else most moments of the day.

Imagine being able to look at people, buildings, objects, retail items, places, plants, anything you can think of, and essentially knowing everything about it immediately. This is where we are heading, and it's only probably 10 years or so away.

Brace yourselves. And read the novel Rainbows End to get a better sense of what this will likely end up looking like.

Are we so stupid and tech hungry that we are going to look at a device to see what's in front of us. No, the majority of us will not.

Comment

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT

We already have such a thing. It's called Wikipedia. And I have the option of seeking out the info instead of having it bombard my senses. Sure, augmented reality could have some really cool bonuses, but have you ever stopped to think what advertisers will do with this technology? If augmented reality really becomes the norm - as you predict - then my whole life will look like a bad mySpace page with ads all around me. :(

P-Worm

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.