Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
I need to make a video, in which I am two characters. Do to this I plan on shooting myself once, and than taking the video clip into some program (iMovie hopefully, or something else free) and than shooting myself as the oher character and importaing that and layering them on top of one another, in a way that hopefully you can see both, and the play simulateosly So basically I can have a conversation with myself.
If this is possible, Though im leaning towards not in a free prgram.
Thanks so much.

:)

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
I cannot speak for iMoive (I've never used it), but it can be done using several different methods in FCE or FCP. Probably the fastest way would be to position the camera and lock it down. Then position yourself in the first character's position and record and then do the same for the second character's position. Note that each character must stay within their own half of the frame to use this method.

After capturing the footage, place one clip on track V1 and the other on V2. Double-click the upper track to load it into the Viewer window and then click on the Basic Motion tab. Use the CROP control to trim the edge (right or left) so as to reveal the clip on the lower track. You can use the Edge Feather control to soften the division between the two clips, but it shouldn't be needed is the camera was locked down and the lighting didn't change from take to take.

If you want each character to move freely within the entire frame, you really should shoot on take in front of a green screen and chroma key that take over the other.

-DH

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Thanks though, I dont not have final cut on this machine (Other wise I wouldnt be having much of a problem. :) )
I might be able to get someone to do it, ill just have to chamnge a few things around

Thanks though.

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.