layered video - how u do that?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by killicks, Jan 10, 2009.

1. killicks macrumors newbie

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Where? I didn't see any 'layered video' in your link.

I saw a title overlayed onto the video, but no layers.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you have more than one video playing on the monitor/display/whatever, and it was created using an editing software, you simply add additional video tracks to your timeline.
    If the video in the video is smaller than the monitor/display/where-ever it's being played on, it typically involves a picture-in-picture effect (or sometimes a resize effect). You apply the effect to the video clip and set its parameters to your liking (size, position, rotation).

PS:

I've just seen the video you linked to, and I haven't seen any layers either.

Do you mean the "jumps" from one "image" to another (she drumming with the wood spoons, and then we see her singing into the camera, and the she is playing a ukulele/dwarf guitar)?

Those are called cuts, every good film has those (exceptions are there of course, Russian Ark, or Life Is Too Short to Dance with Ugly Women).

You can achieve this by putting clip after clip in a timeline, technically speaking. Dramaturgically you should have a script/storyboard first, so that you know what you want/have to shoot to achieve the desired effect.

4. killicks thread starter macrumors newbie

Did I use the wrong term

The question is how does she record 4 or 5 clips and syncronise them into a vid so she is doing her own harmonies

:)

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

She just records the clips and then edits the cuts to match what is happening ... :confused:

iMovie can do all of this ...

6. killicks thread starter macrumors newbie

u can see that in some she is listening to the original track on an earpiece

7. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

It's just very simple editing, just cuts between different takes timed to a single music track. You can do that in iMovie.

8. killicks thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Hopefully the shrink wrap is still on it and you can take it back. If not, FCE is a much more powerful app than iMovie (although more complicated to use) and you could use it as an excuse to learn more and make more advanced videos. :)

10. killicks thread starter macrumors newbie

mmm I had this dream that it would be a video version of garageband where I could lay down numerous live tracks keeping all audio but switching between vidoes

11. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

Keep FCE if you want to do this in one package, or use iMovie in conjunction with Garageband if you like flip-flopping between different parts of iLife - one for pictures, one for sound. As far as I'm aware, there's no multi-track audio editing in iMovie '08 - Garageband is there for that. FCE supports multitracking for video and audio.

Andrew.

12. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

It's called a Mulitclip and is a part of FCP (maybe part of FCE, but I only use Pro so I don't know). Basically you take your video tracks, sync them up, add the mulitclip clip to your time line with your audio track, then as your tracks are playing in real time you can switch the "cameras."

EDIT: Muliticlip is not in FCE, but it still would not be hard to achieve the same look with multiple video tracks and the blade too.

13. killicks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone

Ill try this out and let you know how it goes

Plan a is to create a number of videos via photobooth abd see if I can combine them in FCE:rolleyes: