Layering an image over another

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by RossOliver, Apr 22, 2008.

1. RossOliver macrumors regular

Hey,

I want to try some image manipulation. The effect I'm after is similar to that of the Delicious Library images; a solid image as an overlay to another image - in their case they put an image of a book cover over a base image, which gives it a book-looking texture.

How would I go about replicating these effects?

Thanks,

-Ross

2. RossOliver thread starter macrumors regular

I think I have what I need now:

http://developer.apple.com/document...//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30001066-CH212-CJBEBCAA

What's the best way to go about this? I have two NSImage objects at the minute and I want to overlay one on top of the other. Is there a relatively straight forward example of this knocking around that anyone knows of? I can't seem to find any good documentation on how it all fits together...

-Ross

3. RossOliver thread starter macrumors regular

I have a working program now doing what I want. I made it by subclassing UIView, adding a UIImageView subview containing the bottom image I want to use and then added the image I wanted on top of it in the drawRect method:

Code:
    -( id )initWithItemUnderlay:( UIImage * )itemUnderlay frame:( CGRect )frame
    {
        if( self = [super initWithFrame:frame] )
    	{
    		UIImageView *imageView = [[UIImageView alloc] initWithImage: itemUnderlay];
    		[self addSubview:imageView];
    		[imageView release];
    		overlayImage = NO;
        }
        return self;
    }

-( void )drawRect:( CGRect )rect
    {
    	if( overlayImage )
    	{
    		CGContextRef context = UIGraphicsGetCurrentContext(); 
    		CGContextDrawImage( context, rect, overlayImage );
    	}
    }

I call it with this in my main class:

Code:
    	itemView = [[ItemView alloc] initWithItemUnderlay:defaultItemUnderlay 
    		frame:CGRectMake( ITEM_VIEW_X, ITEM_VIEW_Y, ITEM_VIEW_WIDTH, ITEM_VIEW_HEIGHT )];
    	[itemView setOverlayImage:defaultOverlayImage];
    	[customTableView addSubview:itemView];

This gives me the default images. However, if I try and change the top image (overlayImage) using this code:

Code:
    	[itemView setOverlayImage:[item image]];
    	[itemView drawRect:CGRectMake( ITEM_VIEW_X, ITEM_VIEW_Y, ITEM_VIEW_WIDTH, ITEM_VIEW_HEIGHT )];

It doesn't change the UIView at all... I also get this error message in the console:

Code:
    <Error>: CGContextDrawImage: invalid context

If anyone knows how I can re-draw my overlayImage after I have set the default underlay/overlay images I would appreciate the help...

4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Manually calling drawRect is basically always a mistake in Cocoa. Use setNeedsDisplayInRect instead.

5. RossOliver thread starter macrumors regular

Ah right, I changed that and it actually crashes now instead of just not working (which is a step forward I guess...).

I think the problem might be because I am getting warnings about my UIView which has my drawRect in not responding to a setOverlayImage message:

Code:
    warning: 'UIView' may not respond to 'setOverlayInage'

It must work at least once, however, since that is how the default image is set initially...

I don't know why it's complaining - I have declared setOverlayImage like so:

Code:
    	@private
    		CGImageRef overlayImage;

@property( nonatomic, assign ) CGImageRef overlayImage;

@synthesize overlayImage;

Any ideas?

Thanks

6. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Does the error really say "setOverlayInage" or did you type it in by hand? If its just a typo in your post and not code, then never mind.

Also. In the first bit of code you have "overlayImage = NO" and also have "CGImageRef overlayImage" in the last bit of sample code, which seems like a conflict of types to me.

7. RossOliver thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, I just mistyped that...

What does the NO constant actually point to? I thought it was like nil and could be applied to any object?