Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Am I doing something wrong? I started a page off using tables, but realized that one area would be better as a layer. I set it up, looks fine in the workspace, but as soon as I preview in any browser, the layer has jumped about 1/2 a cm down the page (white space). Now, I've spent hours trying to work this out - as a temporary fix, I altered the page in GoLive which does not seem to have the problem (what an awful program otherwise!). So as a last ditch attempt, I just downloaded the trial verson of DW 8 to see if that helps... evidently not.
Here's what I know: macromedia has said that if tables are aligned in any other way that either left of default, layers will not appear correctly on the page. I have tried every possible combination of left and default with no luck. I have not tried recreating the page as one layer and working within it (this is some advice I came across) in the hope that I just need to click a button and all will be restored.

HEEEELP! Have you ever tried to make rollovers in GoLive?:eek: I think dogs at Crufts get away with fewer tricks. Spare me!

Thanks (sorry for the ending melodrama)

YOJI

stoid

macrumors 601
Mixing tables and layers is a bad idea.

Tables are the older way of page layout, and layers which are CSS based are the new way.

You'll save yourself alot of headache if you can get by without mixing the two. If you have to use layers to accomplish your design goal, then only use a table if you have a data sheet or something like that which must be put in a table to be formatted correctly.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
stoid said:
Mixing tables and layers is a bad idea.

Tables are the older way of page layout, and layers which are CSS based are the new way.

Thanks. I thought at much. It was *supposed* to be a 15 - 20 min hack job that has turned out to be much longer.

Out of curiousity, is there a limit to the number of layers you should use? Used to be not so long ago that the advice was 'use layers sparingly.' Not that I'm making an exceptionally complex site!

red wine and beer, tables and layers. got it.

YOJI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.