Laying the groundwork for mobile design?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by kwjohns, Jul 1, 2010.

1. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

I'm starting to develop a mobile version of a site we have at work and have been wondering what is the secret for making a mobile site that will look good on all smart phones with their different sized screens and resolutions?

I got to playing around and made a static 320 width page and got the graphics placed where I want them and then you look at that on a high-res screen like the iPhone 4 and it looks blurry. To prevent this, I'm having to use graphics that are higher resolutions than what we have on our full desktop site. So, do I make a 640 width page and resize all the graphics and text to fit the new "bigger" page and then scale it down somehow with a viewport so that it will display properly on smaller resolution devices? I'm at a bit of a head scratcher, here.

2. kwjohns thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

3. kwjohns thread starter macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Is there a tool/site to see how your site would look with different devices?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Depends on the device. Apple has a iPhone simulator (also, iPhoney). I've come across Nokia simulators as well and the Blackberry has a simulator. I don't know of anything that does a range of mobile devices though. This is the closest I have come across, BrowserCam.

5. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

adobe has a program called device central which has a pretty good selection of different phones to help with mobile design. I know its usually bundled with creative suite, not sure if you can get a stand alone copy