Lazy Apple?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by igoldfish, Sep 7, 2009.

1. igoldfish macrumors newbie

With the music event fast approaching, amidst all of these rumours of a camera, am I the only one who thing apple is getting a bit lazy, getting the same iPod and plonking a camera on it.

Yes sure it will probably have a microphone, higher capacity... but are these really groundbreaking features?

What happened to the apple that came up with new innovative products, rather than these predictable and unimaginative solutions...

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Are you sating the ipod touch is still not ground breaking? I cannot think of another ipod like device on the market which it is not better than. It is the product that people are trying to emulate.

I would say iphone 4 and new touch following that are going to be vastly different. (I have no hard facts to back that up, just a feeling)

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

You don't even know what Apple is announcing, these are just rumours you know, and you are already complaining that it's not good enough? Seriously?

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

very right, they could announce something earth shattering. Guess we will just have to wait till Wednesday.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Please enlighten us as to the imaginative, unpredictable and innovative things you think should go into the iPod touch.

6. Wishsong macrumors regular

In my opinion, the ipod touch is not the innovator... it's just an ipod only version of the iphone. The iphone on the other hand has been getting some awesome features (compass specifically). And a nano with a camera seems pretty innovative to me, it would be the first mp3 specific device to have a camera (well the first well known one).

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It must be nice to work at Apple and know what's going to be in the new iPod. The rest of us will just enjoy the rumors until the new iPods are announced at the show.

8. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

iPod's themselves are dying. Everyone has one, and it's not like the iPhone where people who have them have to get the next one because there isn't much else to add to an iPod. The camera update will be pretty big all things considered. How many mp3 players have cameras? Eventually everyone is going to have 1 mobile device to play music, make calls, text and all that stuff. The iPhone is an example of that.

Apple isn't focused on the iPod anymore. It was a way for them to expand their market for Mac users, introduce people to their brand and it also set them up for the iPhone. Don't expect iPods to get too much more complicated. They'll never have anything the iPhone doesn't. Sure Apple will probably always sell them, but that's not their cash cow like it used to be. Therefore, not as much money goes into developing new ones.

They spend their time and money on improving the iPhone and it's OS, things like Snow Leopard and other Mac products, and the mythical Mac Tablet.

9. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

WHAT DO YOU WANT? :eek:

3D holographics?? a laser pointer???? what is a good example of an innovative product?

Attached Files:

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

OP, if you are more innovative, why don't you start a company and do even better? Or are you too lazy?

Sharks with laser beams!!!

11. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

Sharks with laser beams?! I want one!:p

12. igoldfish thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the original iPod Touch may of been amazing and innovative, but if they just put a camera on it, it's just the same iPod.... with a camera....

13. pavenger macrumors regular

How about Ill-tempered, Mutated, Sea Bass?
    I hear that there is a lot of red tape getting sharks...

14. fswmacguy macrumors 6502

fswmacguy

At the OP, I think you're asking a little much. :p The iPhone was innovative, it was brilliant. And, as always, competitors follow in the footsteps of Apple. About 1-2 years after the iPhone released we have a ridiculous number of touchscreen handheld devices on the market. Apple has always been ahead of the pack.

Right now, technology has come to a grinding halt at touchscreens. If you can provide some insight at what type of technology will come after touchscreens, please do share.

15. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The problem with touchscreens is that we need to touch them. Touching them leaves fingerprints which lessens the photo/video experience.

What could replace touchscreens? Image tracking (Needs a front facing camera). Back-touch (touch the back instead of the screen). Voice command (OK, too noisy). Thought command? All of these technologies are in the labs. Some are working prototypes. The Future is Fantastic, and Apple may not be there. I'm confident they'll milk all they can out of touchscreens though. ;)

16. jake921660 macrumors regular

Apple already has brilliant devices for most MP3 player applications. What else can they make that is innovative and will sell?

17. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

LMAO well then, what features would YOU want them to add? Got any bright ideas there? No? I didn't think so.

18. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

It's all about the software.

Wait and see what Apple has to announce about software before you pass judgement. We just don't know.

The hardware is already the best in its field, and with a camera it will be even better, but I am waiting to see what they are planning in terms of software for the the iTunes environment which includes iPods, iPhones, Macs and AppleTVs.

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Flipping it around - what do you think they should add, what do you want as a consumer?
    As far as I can see the iPod Touch is the best MP3 player on the market. Given the current technology where do you think the next step is? All they can really do is make it similar to the iPhone with GPS, mic and camera. An FM or DAB radio would be nice too.

20. danielhayter macrumors member

danielhayter

If it's a video camera then I'd say that's a pretty cool feature for an inexpensive item like the iPod nano. I have a riot using my iPhone 3GS to capture video and upload straight to youtube, especially when at parties, on holiday etc...

21. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

22. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

hmmm, innovative yet, the name is wrong. how bout the ipod touchless.:p

23. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

INNOVATION at it's best!:D

24. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

All I want is for Apple to get rid of the Chrome Back and replace it with Aluminum and Black Aluminum!!!!! COME ON THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!! And they'd still put the wifi antenna where it's always been.