LC ll File transfer over Ethernet

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by macintoshmartin, Oct 15, 2011.

1. macintoshmartin macrumors newbie

macintoshmartin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hi, I'm trying to connect my LC ll running System 7 to my MacBook running Leopard. I'm using a linksys wireless router and both of them are connected using ethernet. I've tried setting up Mactcp on the LC but the farthest I got was for the MacBook to ping the LC. The problem is that the LC can't ping anything on the networknot even the router. I've tried entering a static ip for the LC using Mactcp, and I've tried to use dhcp to automatically get the ip address. The first one only let the MacBook ping the LC but the LC couldn't ping the MacBook. And if I try to use dhcp, the LC gives me an ip address of 192.0.0.0. What I'm trying to do is set up a shared folder between the LC and the MacBook so I can transfer files to the LC.

2. MacTech68, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Firstly, the MacTCP control panel v2.0.x doesn't support DHCP.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA35601?viewlocale=en_US

and, Obtain Address by Server is actually BootP.

In the MacTCP control panel, click on "Ethernet..." not "EtherTalk".

Click the "More" button and select "Manually" under "Obtain Address"

Make sure under "IP Address" that you are selecting "Class C". If the "Subnet Mask" isn't 255.255.255.0 then move the little slider to the right until it does.

Under "Gateway Address" enter the IP address of your router.

In the DNS section. Enter a dot in the first left box, and the IP address of your DNS server in the first right hand box. Make sure the first radio button is selected to indicate this as your default DNS server.

In the "Node" box, select an un-used IP address on your network. For example, if it's 192.168.0.80, then put 80 into the box.

Click on the "OK" button, and hopefully, you'll have the manually configured IP address showing.

MacTCP control panel was a rather confusing beast. Apple later renamed all the early networking control panels and drivers "Classic Networking" and introduced "Open Transport" which gave you the more familiar "TCP/IP" control panel which supports DHCP. Open Transport requires a minimum of a 68030 68040 or PPC CPU, and System 7.1 or later. You can get it from here:

http://download.info.apple.com/Appl...s/Open_Transport/OT_1.1.1-Net_Install.sea.bin

I've never tried to use it under System 7.1 nor a 68030 so YMMV. :eek:

EDIT: you won't be able to use AppleShare to transfer files, since MacOS 10.4 and later drops support for AppleTalk, unless you use AppleShare client v1.7 or later shipped with MacOS 8 and newer. File sharing on the LC won't be seen by the MacBook, and the LC won't show an icon for the MacBook server.
    AppleShare (or Apple File Sharing) setup on the MacBook will be accessible from the LC with AppleShare client v1.7 or later, but you'll need to enter the IP address of the MacBook in the AppleShare Chooser icon. Does that make sense?

3. macintoshmartin thread starter macrumors newbie

macintoshmartin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thank you so much! I was finally able to connect to my router's configuration page and now I'm just going to set up a web server on my MacBook to share files to the LC.